lamp blew up, questions

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Problem: water smells sour almost after lamp falls in and explodes. Did 50% water change, still smells. Is it substrate, water, or chemom standard size lightbulb lamp?
Also, can't scroll down while on phone for somereason, hence broken up message, sorry for long read.
Background:
Hi so 2 days ago I was messing with an internal filters spray bar on my new 40gal tank for a quarantine for the 100gallon in other room.
Substrate is a 70/30 mix of supernaturals black Tahitian moon sand and poolfilter sand, both were new and washed before mixing very well.
Day after setting it up and filling it, this cheap Ikea nightstand lamp blew up and managed to fall onto the light difuser and then into the tank and eplode. No fish were in the tank luckily.

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
To be safe, restart cycle. Empty all water our. Make sure no glass in the sand. The smell could be your water parameters or the sand. Give it a few days I know the one type of silica sand I use ALLWAYS smells even after 3 days and extensive washing. Helpful hint, lights near tanks are a bad idea haha !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store