Large Mouth Bass in Captivity

jvai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
Mo
Like most sunfish, largemouth bass are generally pretty easy to get on prepared foods. Generally, the smaller they are, the easier it will be.

+1

clemsonguy1125

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
East Coast USA
Thanks I found a fish hatchery nearby that sells them from 2 in to 12 in. I need to finish cycling my pond, I've had a pair of feeder goldfish in for a few months but I may finish with a fishless cycle. Also should I add another pump to circulate water other the the filter output or do they prefer still water.

wcgunns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
DFW, Texas
I've asked this question several times and have not got a good answer yet. I have seen a 7-8lb LMB in a 300 gallon tank that the guy said was about 1-1.5lbs when he got it and he had the LMB for 7-8 years and was the only fish in the tank. The big LMB at Bass Pro shops are caught at or around the size they are now and brought to the stores.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
If properly cared for (clean water, enough space to swim, appropriate water temps ec), there is no reason a LMB will not reach it's full potential size. The only reason it's growth would be stunted is if it is in an unhealthy environment (high ammonia, small tank, too cold or too hot H20, etc...). Any fish that does not reach it's full size in captivity is due to an unhealthy captive environment.

wcgunns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
DFW, Texas
I agree Aldiaz33. I would like to see a LMB that someone has raised for 15 years and see how big the size would be. The 7-8lb LMB that I saw is on its way to a 12-15lb fish if it keeps growing like it has been the last 7 years. I guess the bottom line is if you are willing to raise a LMB for 15+ years. Im just getting started with natives and Im going to try this.

81cuttin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2011
SCaro
There are 3 Clemson Fans Buddy. Clemsonguy I got a LMB in my garden 300 Gallon pond. He East EVERYTHING. Big gold fish beetles and shrimp. Where is a fish hatchery in the upstate? I have someone giving me a 100gallon tank. YES, Gotta love FREE ****!!!

dcorreia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Sacramento
I've kept natives in ponds for years now and captive fish will NOT grow as big in captivitiy as they do in the wild. Bass need a lot of space and food to grow to full potential. I've never seen a captive bass grow over 5 lbs but I have heard of them getting up to 8. And that 5 lber I saw was 10 years old.... In the wild a 10 year old bass can easily be 10 pounds or bigger. I would think a bass can reach 2-3 lbs in a 200 gallon tank. These big bass in the west are eating 2-3 12 inch trout trout a week... A bass can't get that type of calories eating pellets.

All the big fish you see at bass pro or cabelas are caught big. When they are put in captivity a lot of them actually loss weight, some will gain weight slowly but are still stunted. That came from a diver who works at a bass pro shop and feeds the fish...

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Funny that you would say that seeing as how almost all of the records down south are farm pond fish it seems.

There is no reason that a fish in captivity should not grow to be BIGGER than its wild counter parts. More, higher quality, and more frequent availability of food. Lack of predators, better h2o quality, medical attention...etc etc.

Just because some people are lax on care and husbandry does not make it the rule.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store