Life span of a aquarium?

SkySouza

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Santa Maria, Ca
does this apply for acrylic tanks as well? I have been pondering this for awhile...

Greenmanbacchus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Hammonton, New Jersey
That's...a good question. All my acrylics are apparently one-piece....no seals that I can see ( 20gal bowfront is the biggest ) Acrylics vary all over the place as to quality. I've got stuff here that $400.00 per 8' X 4' X .25" It's been out in freezing winter, blistering summers for a number of years now...seems fine.
Some of it will become brittle with age, most especially if it gets hot and dry ( as in an aquarium that's been empty in the garage for 5 years). Add to that, such a tank in acrylic is probably more than a little scratched up. On the whole, personally I prefer glass...but that's just me ;)

thewaterboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
Boston, MA
i have wondered about the age of tanks for awhile myself. So everyone who says "look at the seams/silicon" what are you looking for? cracks, discoloration?

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BlackShark11k;4225812; said:
My 130 is older than me. Thick glass and no center brace, thats how they used to do it.
Yep just like mine, built back when tanks were built the "proper" way. Not the cheap thin glass with a plastic brace at the top that 95% of the time breaks way.

dawnmarie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
California Delta
www.eddosharbor.com
My 240 acrylic was built in 1977 and is still going strong. :)

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Acrylic tanks will generally last longer. Most, if not all, have lifetime warranties, something you don't often see with glass tanks. And you rarely hear of them springing a leak.

I had a 10 gal glass tank release its contents on my kitchen counter. It was 7 years old. I kind of hoped the silicone of a small glass tank would last longer than a large tank holding much more water but I guess not...

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
yes, that is surprising. 7 years isn't very old for a glass tank at all.

if you buy a well made glass tank brand new, you should expect the seals to last around 20 years or so.

or, at least that is the sort of lifespan I have had before selling them. I have yet to reseal a tank.

had I not sold them, who knows maybe they would still be holding water..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store