Lighting a Planted Tank

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Actually, I've had it carpet without co2, just takes a buttload of time and patience.

I do recommend learning about proper co2 systems though, I prefer the high tech side of the hobby (but I have seen some super lush low tech tanks)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Well hybrid your a different breed when it comes to this aspect of the hobby! You could prlly grow and clone a lace in a toilet!

Seems a lot of people learn about co2 right around the time algae takes over and they research why and realize their med/high lighting is offset by the lack of proper co2 levels. The majority don't think its necessary and learn the hard way (like me) but lighting is the easiest variable to change and one doesn't realize their plants (if low/med light) don't need to harness the power of the sun atop their tanks!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Well hybrid your a different breed when it comes to this aspect of the hobby! You could prlly grow and clone a lace in a toilet!

Seems a lot of people learn about co2 right around the time algae takes over and they research why and realize their med/high lighting is offset by the lack of proper co2 levels. The majority don't think its necessary and learn the hard way (like me) but lighting is the easiest variable to change and one doesn't realize their plants (if low/med light) don't need to harness the power of the sun atop their tanks!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

I've only been at this say 3 years now, and I'm still learning things. Hair grass I just now isn't hard to grow so long as you have at least medium light and a nutritious substrate, like dirt.

Growing hair grass in just sand would be a pain I feel, as the lack of nutrients immediately available would slow growth down.

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
Read through this And all I can day is, wow. I knew lights were important for planted tanks, but never knew there was this much info behind it.

So my question is this. I have an odd ball tank. Its an 80 gallon corner bowfront. From corner yo corner of the bow, it's 48 inches. From my sand to the light it self is about 27 inches. The deepest part of the tank is 22 inches. For my lights, I simply went to Wal-Mart, bought a 48 inch shop light fixture, and two 48 inch" aquarium and plant" bulbs. I also have a 18 inch aquarium fixture from an old tank, with the 18 inch variant of the aquarium and plant bulb. How do I know how much light I'm putting out? Is there a place on the bulbs themselves that will give me the output info?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Read through this And all I can day is, wow. I knew lights were important for planted tanks, but never knew there was this much info behind it.

So my question is this. I have an odd ball tank. Its an 80 gallon corner bowfront. From corner yo corner of the bow, it's 48 inches. From my sand to the light it self is about 27 inches. The deepest part of the tank is 22 inches. For my lights, I simply went to Wal-Mart, bought a 48 inch shop light fixture, and two 48 inch" aquarium and plant" bulbs. I also have a 18 inch aquarium fixture from an old tank, with the 18 inch variant of the aquarium and plant bulb. How do I know how much light I'm putting out? Is there a place on the bulbs themselves that will give me the output info?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
How many and what type of bulbs? There exists a chart on another forum that is AMAZING when it comes to learning about lights, search "how to light a planted tank with PAR".

drk92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2012
sacramento, ca
Since my last post, I've started DIY CO2 the past couple days and it's really starting to help already. Also added some RCS, a few losses but they seem fine now and water parameters are good(nitrites spiked for some reason and killed off some adults).
I also pulled the DHG up and distributed it around the tank. Hopefully with the added CO2 the DHG will begin to grow better, already started seeing some new shoots.

drk92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2012
sacramento, ca
How it started:

After separating out:

Now (2 months later with diy c02):

I'm getting quite a bit of algae now, trying yo figure out ways to get rid of it. DHG is rooting well though. I dropped some cuttings of anacharis in there and it started to grow, may take it out though as the DHG carpets more.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Question I haven't seen yet, are all t5ho bulbs the same? Could I get one from the home improvement store or do I have to spring for the $30 at the lfs?
As long as the watts are the same, for instance a 48" T5HO utilizes 54 watt bulbs so you will always need to use 54 watt T5HO bulbs for the fixture; For my 48" T5HO fixture on my 45 gallon long tank I tend to buy my bulbs in bulk because the price per bulb goes down by purchasing them this way, I'll order 5 bulbs at once so I have extras on hand if one of the bulbs goes out.

Also never put a T5HO bulb in a T5NO fixture, and vice versa; Because you actually damage the light fixture itself by doing this.

JCrush

Feeder Fish
Sep 7, 2015
Florida
Simple question: I am in the process of setting up a new 180 gal. freshwater tank. I've not received the tank yet but it is ordered and should be here in four weeks. My plan is to use live plants with fish (community) of course. Tank dimensions are 72 x 30 x 18. I've research my lighting options and have become more confused the further I search. Someone help!! I've read the threads above but the formulas presented still don't adequately represent the products available. With a tank my size (30 in. deep mind you) can I get away with a LED set-up ( probably my preference because of it's cost effectiveness to run) or should I go with T5's or even maybe SHO lights?

Please give me the name of a few products that will adequately grow my plants (low light, medium or even high). Any products recommended would be appreciated, I'll determine if I can afford it or not.

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store