Live Fish As Food - Nutritional Value & Concerns

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
Super Amount of Info. Ive been feeding my fish a combination of pellets, Krill, an Tilapia fillet for acouple months, with the occasional feeder here an there (so they get a lil workout). My feeders usually last awhile(50 usually last a couple weeks). an they eat well to (frozen brine shrimp) as my fish are big enough to take large food.

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
great info.

would abt feeding wild caught feeders to wild caught fish from the same water?
i mite do this w/ my bluegill and jewel cichlid.

yes, i did catch the jewel cichlid in the same canal as my bluegill if u were wondering.

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
i had no clue that they were even introduced into FL till i caught 1.

but back to my Q, would that be good?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
There's no way to answer that. Wild feeders could be appropriate to feed your wild-caught fish. But, without knowing the waters the feeders come from it's hard to recommend them. You could catch some of those feeders, place them in a quarantine tank, and observe them for disease and parasites. If they appear to be clean then, go for it.

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
i was hoping i could setup a quarintine tank for wild feeders for store bought fish later on. would it be a good idea to medicate the quarintine tank for common dieseases?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
It's never a good idea to medicate indiscriminately. Aside from possibly missing a pathogen, you may be strengthening the immunity of other pathogens by using improper dosages. Treat a quarantine tank as it is intended...use it to monitor the feeders for a period of time. IF you see indications of a disease or parasite then, treat as indicated.

ROSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
connecticut
I said it before I'll say it again ODDBALL you are the man!! awsome sticky .. :D

had a feeling in my gut it was a good idea to quarentine the feeder's I catch from the river across the street form my house...

bro if you can find the time please post some of your tank's I would be tickled pink to see them bare bottom or planted witch ever(I myself am a fan of the bare bottom tank...)

hopefully one day we will not become the feeder.... :D peace......

Opiate

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Where eva theres Cichla!!!
I feed my Jardini, bloodworms, crickets, frogs, beetles, worms, and pellets! and it seems very very active n healthy, Seems to have all the nurtition and variety thats perfect for me! :p

Gooda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Good stuff. The numbers on the amounts of lipids is good stuff, it really opened my eyes. Even more motivation to feed your fish a varied diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store