Live Fish As Food - Nutritional Value & Concerns

ShouneN

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
Turnersville, NJ
i dont have marine fish and when i did i only had a couple of clowns and a Tang so... i guess i didnt wexperience these problems... and i have a variety of feeders that include Gold's , mollies, platys, guppies, tetras, and sometimes the ungly betta's from the last fry.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
ShouneN said:
i dont have marine fish and when i did i only had a couple of clowns and a Tang so... i guess i didnt wexperience these problems... and i have a variety of feeders that include Gold's , mollies, platys, guppies, tetras, and sometimes the ungly betta's from the last fry.
A variety is always best so, you did great by your fish. Even if the copper, in comets, doesn't adversely affect your fish, the thiaminase can cause long-term detriment by blocking the fish's ability to absorb and process vitamin B1. So, the variety you offered them allowed the fish to recover and utilize B1.

SphericalCube

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2006
Arlington, Tx
goomba.predatoryfish.net
I feed live microworms/wardley's cichlid crushed flakes to my fry and they grow much faster than if they get flakes alone.

--Jimmy

Decarnocimex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2006
Costa Rica
Good Info. Now I will feed live prey more often to my fish such as blackworms or small fish and not just flakes and pellets. Thanks

christoph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2005
belgium
i don't like to feed my predators live fish, i feed them big frozen shrimps
but live fish would keep them more alert

DULOS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Africa
im studying animal nutrition at varsity and the article is very concise.
im in total agreement in feeding predatory fish feeders.
i havea question though:
can you feed guppies to oscars?

Pantast1c

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2005
I feed my 1 foot Jardini live food now since he only aquired taste is live food only. I starve him for 1 month and still only will eat live food, instead of koi pellets LOL. Mostly meal worms he will eat, shrimp only when he's hasn't been feed for 2-3 days, and also feed him beef heart, he likes beef heart more than shrimp. He will always eat about 8-10 meal worms every day if I feed him that often hehe. Can I still train him to eat pellets? What brand of pellets do you guy reccomend? I had him for 1 year now. and he's in a 60 gallon with my 5" frt.

twitchynose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That is some excellent info. I read an article somewhere that the skulls of the feeder goldfish impacted in the lionfish's digestive tract, and that was the reason you weren't sopposed to feed them live. Sounds weird, but could it be true?

christoph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2005
belgium
I know there are feeders that are not that good to be fed. Fish like goldfish and barbs contain an bad enzyme. Cichlids and guppys are the best feeders.

victor

Feeder Fish
May 3, 2005
lot of info thanks how ever i dont use live food when i wnat a new fish i buy several small ones an place then in a 10 gal tank give them feeder fish for a few wks then do a water change an dont feed for several days then i try cichlid pellets it works i have clown knifes ,silver arowanas and even tiger shovel nose cat fish that eat dry food , and all are less aggressive

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store