Live Sand to seed Dead Rock?

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
Are you talking about my coraline algae thread?I didn't not take your advise.I was just had more questions afterwords because I had just decided to do a marine tank. I did not know the ocean law so I thought I could get a piece of rock so I asked.I have been looking endlessly for the live rock and every time I think I found a place it has already been sold or they don't have it.I went to the pet store a few nights ago to get the rock and they just had the live sand.If it makes you happy I moved the puffer into a cycled tank.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Are you talking about my coraline algae thread?I didn't not take your advise.I was just had more questions afterwords because I had just decided to do a marine tank. I did not know the ocean law so I thought I could get a piece of rock so I asked.I have been looking endlessly for the live rock and every time I think I found a place it has already been sold or they don't have it.I went to the pet store a few nights ago to get the rock and they just had the live sand.If it makes you happy I moved the puffer into a cycled tank.
Yes. Coralline algae will come after seeding the rock, in post 4 on your thread joe linked a great article.

Yes I am referring to Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
That's awesome. I lived in Coralville and North Liberty for 7 years. I think I found a person last night at like 11pm that has some really cheap frags along with live rock. She has frags with 10 polyps each, 4" square green star polyps, and kenya trees for just $5. She told me in email that she had some live rock I could buy also.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
That's awesome. I lived in Coralville and North Liberty for 7 years. I think I found a person last night at like 11pm that has some really cheap frags along with live rock. She has frags with 10 polyps each, 4" square green star polyps, and kenya trees for just $5. She told me in email that she had some live rock I could buy also.
I'm in Cedar Rapids but go to coralville for my fish stuff.
That sounds like a great deal on some corals and live rock.

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
When I tried to go to your reef today on roseville the gps brought me to some random house so I just went to exotic aquarium.It was over my expectations of what the store was like, the employees were nice but had some lower quality frags and he said "I yet to create some good quality frags" some were disintegrating in tanks. There was a huge selection. I get a couple frags and a couple pounds a live rock with a free crab :) I hope it grows some coraline soon. I was going to get some super purple rock for 5.99lb but he said if I was just starting the tank up I would need bacteria and he got the rocks dry 5 days ago and the rock that was in the other tank (unlighted tank with brown rock with some skeletons) had more bacteria and it was better so I got it. Now that I have it in a lit tank I can see some more purple and other color and I hope my diy rock seeds okay. There is even now a little tiny starfish in my tank now that I guess was on one of the frags. If my rock doesn't have any holes, do I need to drill in a hole to put the frag plug in? I think one frag is a 1''x1'' carpet anemone and the other some type of polyp that looks like a mushroom coral right now since they are all sucked in.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Give it 2-3 weeks to cycle then start adding a fish every 2-3 weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store