Looking for a breeder to talk to about P. Socolofi

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
Sorry, I meant forums. I posted to another forum as well. I also had another thread on here. This got moved from the breeding section. And it doesn't matter I bought all they had. I just feel like crap for messing it all up. I hate to kill fish. It was my fault. I guess that's why they don't keep many at the store.

Everything I found on youtube and the web does say a 30 is good for a small harem for breeding. Some even use smaller. That is why I came here for someone who actually had them to talk to.

Either way, its over, and they are dead. I can't change that, unfortunately. Only good that came of it was a new 55 cycling in my fish room since I used the one I had for these. Now I have two 55s empty.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Don't give up...mbuna ARE easy to breed and prolific given the right conditions. Socolofi are rare because they are not popular. If I wanted to breed mbuna for distributon I'd do yellow labs...always demand for a quality yellow lab and quality ones are hard to find.

Three species, 1m:4f of each in your 55G. Labs, socolofi and rusties. You will get 20 labs 6X annually.

Also I find you tube and the older books have just as much bad information as good which makes it hard for someone starting out to know which is which.

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
So, I can put all those together in that 55? Will my rock wall be ok for all?

Thx for the encouragement. My female spit her eggs, but I have them in a tumbler. Only 6, but STILL. She still looks bad, but so far she has survived.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Yes, having 12 (the right 12 in the right tank dimensions) spreads aggression. Mbuna are rock fish so rocks are good. I tend not to like rock walls due to the problems with netting fish, but it should not hurt them. I have 3D backgrounds in all my display tanks.

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
@DJ I would love to see your tank. I have rocks in mine for now and a few pots on the sides. I am going to go look again today to see what the LFS's have in stock. I will try again and see if I can get it right this time. Thank you.

The lone Female that spit her eggs is looking a bit better today. The eggs are tumbling and look to be ok. She did eat for me or nibbled at least. I'm going to give her a small bit of zucchini today and hope she continues to improve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store