Mangrove Jack Tankmates?

jcon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
Australia
White, nice tank. I had a lot of large natives before, your Jack is still young, wait until he gets 50cm+ he will feel cramped and start taking out tank mates one by one. Mine did and I got a 8ftr just for him, he would enhilate anything that touched the water. He started taking chucks out of my 60cm cod, trying to be the prime cover spot under the tree branch. Just a heads up.

Elbling0

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2013
Silent Hill
Yes, Jcon is right, looks like you have a bit of a docile Jack, but expect at some point for the Jack to kill everything. I think somewhere along the line of evolution something has royally pissed this fish off.
Jacks can usually be housed with other fish until they hit about 12''+ then you're treasured fish will either get beaten the **** out of and left for dead while you're not looking, or eaten.
I love Jacks.

heavy metal fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
Hi guys, i have 120 gallon tank im planning to restore. i was thinking of putting juvenile Jacks and Barramundis in it. My friend is planning to give me 4 jacks and 4 barras around 2inches in length. im going to make it pure freshwater.

Would they co-exist? and if so... could i have some peacock bass around same size with them or largemouth bass of the same size as well.
where u find a mangrove jack , i been lookin for one

Ronald.Kartadinata

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2017
Bekasi, Indonesia
White, nice tank. I had a lot of large natives before, your Jack is still young, wait until he gets 50cm+ he will feel cramped and start taking out tank mates one by one. Mine did and I got a 8ftr just for him, he would enhilate anything that touched the water. He started taking chucks out of my 60cm cod, trying to be the prime cover spot under the tree branch. Just a heads up.
In my country, i look a Big size MJ with arowana super red as tank mate and i dont see any problem as i watching them play around the tank (correct me if i wrong)

where u find a mangrove jack , i been lookin for one
I have many MJ if you want, i'll give you free fish (note: you have pay the shiping)

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Don't think I would trust a Jack with one of the most expensive fish in the hobby lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store