Mudskipper info.

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
I haven't come across a mudskipper species happily living in full fresh.
Certainly the commonly traded species are brackish to full marine rather than fresh.

Due to their typical living conditions (estuaries) in the wild they are usually well adapted to fluctuations in salinity.

But hey, it's not hard to play with salt a bit. Just get a good refractometer.

I feed the skippers frozen insect larvae, a frozen mix of fish, shrimp and veggies - and common dried fish foods. They are not fussy at all, when it comes to eating.

bmpauley

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2013
Marysville ohio
I haven't come across a mudskipper species happily living in full fresh.
Certainly the commonly traded species are brackish to full marine rather than fresh.

Due to their typical living conditions (estuaries) in the wild they are usually well adapted to fluctuations in salinity.

But hey, it's not hard to play with salt a bit. Just get a good refractometer.

I feed the skippers frozen insect larvae, a frozen mix of fish, shrimp and veggies - and common dried fish foods. They are not fussy at all, when it comes to eating.
Also most lfs sell them in freshwater but you will need to move them over to brackish for long term keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
P. barbarus are by far the most territorial skippers I've dealt with.
If you end up getting two males, the only way they both stay alive is a biiig tank and territories separated from sight to one another. Pay attention to designing the scape, it really makes a difference with these guys.

That said, good luck! They are active and interesting fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store