Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

My 20G Long Heavily Planted

Discussion in 'Planted Tank and Aquascaping' started by sho92mtx, Mar 10, 2012.

1. sho92mtx

sho92mtx New Member

Sep 17, 2013
      Hey guys, been lurking for awhile and decided to snap some shots of my 20G long tonight! I've been keeping fish for a long time, and I have had this planted tank setup for over a year. Before anyone asks, yes it is a ton of light, and yes it works for me! ;) The lights and C02 turn on around 3:00PM in the afternoon, and turn off around 9:00PM at night, at which point I have the blue LED's kick on for a half an hour, which is a nice aesthetic in the evening. I will try to be as complete as I can with the specs. I figured the pics would give some nice ideas for anyone that was thinking about doing a smaller planted setup with C02. Hope you guys enjoy the pics! :naughty:

20G Long

Substrate - Pool Filter Sand

Filtration - Rena XP3 & XP1 with inlets/outflow at either end of the tank

Lighting - 30 Inch AquaticLife (4x24 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Lights/w lunar LED's)

C02 - GLA CO2 Regulator / GLA Atomic Diffuser / CAL AQUA "Oracle" Drop Checker

Hardware - Aube by Honeywell TI062/U Plug-in Timer / 50W Heater

Ferts - Pfertz Liquid N/P/K/M

Fauna - Giant Danios / Penguin Tetras / Upside Down Catfish / Hoplo Catfish / Algae Eaters / Horse Face Loaches

Flora - Anubias Nana / Spiralis / Micro Sword / Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red / Java Moss attached to Mopani Wood
      (Please feel free to add/correct this list because I honestly don't know all the names and I know I am missing a few!)

IMG_4670.JPG IMG_4672.JPG IMG_4673.JPG IMG_4676.JPG IMG_4678.JPG IMG_4681.JPG IMG_4682.JPG IMG_4683.JPG IMG_4686.JPG IMG_4688.JPG IMG_4689.JPG IMG_4690.JPG IMG_4691.JPG IMG_4692.JPG IMG_4693.JPG IMG_4694.JPG

2. JML1997

JML1997 MFK Members

Saturday at 11:30 PM
      Looks nice!

3. Chubbers

Chubbers MFK Members

Mar 22, 2015
      Very nice! A dark background or painting the rear would really make it pop.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4. cl0wn knife

cl0wn knife MFK Members

May 24, 2014
      very nice!

5. rsour24

rsour24 MFK Members

Mar 9, 2014
      nice looking tank

6. ocellatus

ocellatus MFK Members

Mar 3, 2015
      Great looking tank. Thinking about setting up a planted tank with pool filter sand substrate, how do you like it? Any need to use root tabs?

O

7. sho92mtx

sho92mtx New Member

Sep 17, 2013
      Thanks ocellatus! I have used regular play sand in the past, and my problem with that was the fact that the grains were so fine, and also the silt. Since my inlets are pretty close to the substrate, I would always get sand in the filters. I like the pool filter sand much better because it is a bigger grain, and also sinks right back down if you stir it up. I tried using root tabs as well, but they always seemed to just kind of fall apart in the spot I put them in after a few weeks, and made the water kind of dirty. I have stuck to only my Pferz and have not seen any negative effects since. The plants grow like crazy, and require trimming almost every other weekend.

8. cpm6t

cpm6t MFK Members

Apr 21, 2015
      Hi Very nice setup. I have few questions too.
      1. What is the depth of the substrate?
      2. I'm trying to grow some plants in my 220g (sand substrate). due to the tank volume, liquid fertilizer is out of the question for me, isn't it? (I mean, those are to be applied according to the size of the tank, so even for few plants I'll have to put in a lot due to my tank size?). Then I'll have to go with root tabs, correct?

Thanks for the great info and pictures.

9. jeremoose

jeremoose MFK Members

Mar 16, 2015
      Forget root tabs and liquid fertilizers! Search "dry fertilizers for planted aquarium". Dosing dry ferts is much MUCH cheaper than using liquid aquarium ferts or root tabs with the same (often better) results since you can balance individual nutrients.

10. sho92mtx

sho92mtx New Member

Sep 17, 2013
      Thanks! The substrate is about 2 inches or so in depth, but that changes as the loaches and water flow move it around. With a tank size of 220g, I completely agree with jeremoose about *not* using liquid ferts, and going with dosing dry fertilizer. For my needs though, and my 20g, I much prefer my liquid ferts. Each bottle lasts several months for me, and 1 pump of each daily works well for the tank size, and quick dosing.