My first ray! Impulse buy... Can ya blame me?

jstavis

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
Madison, WI
"Is it that hard to nurse them back to health? I have a knack with critters but rays are alien to me"

Small retics purchased at LFS have a reputation of being rather more prone to dying than other rays. And this one is really really skinny. Has it eaten anything at all? Because I don't think you have too much more time to get it eating. By the way, I really hope that this LFS just doesn't know anything about rays and didn't realize how emaciated this one was. In any case, I'd go back to a store with a printout of this thread and politely ask for a refund. $130 isn't a lot for a ray, but it is a lot for a fish and you shouldn't be paying for something that is in such poor shape.

Also, should you feel tempted to buy another ray at the LFS definitely ask to see it eat and don't accept any excuses if it doesn't (e.g. "we just fed it"). You really have to stuff a healthy ray way more than an LFS ever would for it to refuse food.

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
You're right, their probably better in your care, but one issue is that rays are best acclimated when they alone occupy the tank. It sounds like you don't have a couple more tanks to put the others in.

white15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Highland Park, IL
If you stuff any starved animal that hasn't eaten in a long time it will die. You need to give him a smaller healthy diet to start while slowly adding more and more food to each meal. I would ask for a refund from that LFS and if it doesn't give it to you, I would not go back.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I am not sure if he is eating. Looks like he is but not much. Just got him blackworms today. They said they were feeding him bloodworms but he hasn't eaten them for me. I have many tanks. Too many. Wayyy too many.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
It's not hard but it's time/money and effort. If u decide to keep it get ready to drop some money on live foods, feed 3 times a day and weekly water changes. Best is to isolate him to a different tank and nurse him.
if the OP is keeping it in a 20g tank, you can bet daily water changes at approx 50-75%. that is a very small volume of water to go more than that with even a juvie ray.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Looks like I can see food in his belly but I am not sure if its even his belly i am looking at

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store