My idea for a DIY plywood aquarium

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Also, how much am I sanding in between coats? just enough for the next layer of epoxy to "bite" into? Or is there a specific way to do it? By hand, electric sanders?

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Okay, so after a very long and irritating break from the build, I am finally going to be finishing this thing up over the weekend. I have a few questions though about the epoxy and process.

First question, if the epoxy isn't going to be 100% cured when I apply the next layer, how do I support the glass window without damaging the epoxy?
Second question, can I do one face at a time without having any issues? like do one face and build up layers and then once that face is complete do another face?

Question three, if working one face at a time is acceptable, and I decide to do the front face with the window first, how many layers of epoxy should I have down before putting the glass down? my window is going to fit VERY snugly. I am going to use the epoxy to adhere the glass to the wood, and then I plan on going around the edge of the glass with silicone to fill in the (very small) gap that will be around the glass and frame. There shouldn't be any exposed wood on the front panel.
I wouldn't trust epoxy to hold/seal the window. Better use ATV silicone or something similar.

How many layers of epoxy you'll need depends on the thickness of each layer.

I suppose you could epoxy one side at a time if you overlap each side.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
just wanna chime in.. on the plan to seal the exterior.. bad idea unless you can seal it in such a way to guarantee that moisture never reaches the wood.. otherwise it will accelerate rot and keep the wood from drying out if it gets wet. This is why I only lightly painted the wood on my tank, so the cedar 6x6's can dry easily if/when they get wet from something

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Hi again..so after a website update that resulted in an inability to post my progress and a very long time of inactivity on MFK I have finished my tank. I will be getting all my pictures together and posting my build thread. I will post a link in this thread for all that were following along. I should have the new thread up within in a couple days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store