my new MONSTERS to be: Black Mangroves...

MaddMaxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Abu Dhabi/NJ
...got these lil guys from Hydrophyte. Figured I'd make a thread following their growth.

Here's a shot right after I planted them about 2 weeks ago:

Here they are now, only a little growth (from what Hydrophyte said, they'll grow slow):

I plan on "bonsai-ing" them once they grow out... It'll be a while, but I'll update as I go...

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
JamesF;5066388; said:
I'm really interested in seeing how well they do in freshwater. Every person I've ever know who has tried has ended with dead mangroves after about a year.
Black mangrove actually grows best in freshwater or brackish water that is only slightly salty. I have had mine going in riparium planters in freshwater for a couple of years and they still look great.

Red mangrove is the one that can grow well long-term in full-strength seawater.

MaddMaxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Abu Dhabi/NJ
Thanks for all the comments guys!

Chon, here's a crappy full tank shot (its a 75g tall and narrow):

And here's a full shot of all the growth I have going on top (the low growing stuff is Bacopa sp? and I forget what the taller stuff is (my mom thought papyrus maybe?) Hydrophyte would know, he hooked me up with all of it):

hydrophyte;5066937; said:
Black mangrove actually grows best in freshwater or brackish water that is only slightly salty. I have had mine going in riparium planters in freshwater for a couple of years and they still look great.

Red mangrove is the one that can grow well long-term in full-strength seawater.
Hey Hydrophyte! Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering if you have any plans for designing a larger hanging planter? I know I'm a long way from it, but I'm hoping to find something with some room to create a bonsai design when the mangroves get older...

Speaking of bonsai, I should throw out the disclaimer now: I have never done bonsai... lol... We did a one day class in bonsai, way back in my 4-H days (yeah yeah 4-H FTW! :ROFL: at least we were cooler than you Future Farmer geeks... :ROFL::ROFL: ) but I've always wanted to try, so this is perfect...

MaddMaxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Abu Dhabi/NJ
A little update... Just noticed this morning that the mangroves started pushing up little spears:

Also the root systems are showing strong signs:

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Nice pictures!

Those little shoots are the first true leaves.

Mangroves grow lots of strong roots. This helps them to hold on in difficult estuary environments out in nature.

Nice job also growing those little plants!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store