Need some help, plants are dying!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
How long have you had the plant? It may just be going through crypt melt. Any time you disturb the roots it can cause it to melt and require another month for it to become established again.

Are you using any root tabs or anything for it?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I don't think I've even had it for a quite month yet. Not using any tabs.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
As light bulbs get older they lose part of their UV spectrum. That's something to keep in mind. I try to replace my fluorescent bulbs a couple times a year.

I run an air stone in my planted tank, I have alot of plants and don't inject C02. My dilemma is that my plants consume alot of co2 but don't have the light or co2 to create lots of oxygen for my fish. The amount of plants I have quickly deplete thr water column of co2. By exchanging gasses with the atmosphere I have enough oxygen for my fish and enough co2 to keep my plants from wasting away.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
It's probably just going through crypt melt and will regrow. I'd suggest using root tabs for it as well.

Good to know. How long does the melt tend to last before it starts growing again? Because within a few weeks I should have my 33 planted tank setup and again be moving it, now into the new tank. Also any suggestions for root tabs?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
seachem has root tabs, I don't use them but all their products work soooo lol

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Good to know. How long does the melt tend to last before it starts growing again? Because within a few weeks I should have my 33 planted tank setup and again be moving it, now into the new tank. Also any suggestions for root tabs?
Trim any leaves that are turning soft, getting holes, or having tattered edges to encourage new growth. Once all the dying /affected leaves are gone it should be about a week or two.

I make my own root tabs, I've gotten better results with them than using Seachem's plus they're a whole lot cheaper.
I use osmocote+ and miracle gro for fruits and vegetables. Provides a good balance of micro and macro nutrients.

You can buy everything to make them on Amazon. Or, I can send you 50 since I just made a ton yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CZ83OVM/ref=twister_B00TZRZ9GE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Osmocote-277260-Vegetable-Smart-Release-14-14-14/dp/B00IUFJXZ0/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429899657&sr=1-3&keywords=Osmocote+flower

http://www.amazon.com/Capsule-Connection-wholesale-Gelatin-Capsules/dp/B00428B6X6/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429899710&sr=1-1&keywords=00+gelatin+capsules

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store