Need some help understanding laws

xxmoderatorxx45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
California
I need some help interpreting the California laws regarding sharks in "home aquariums".
Class Elasmobranchiomorphi - Cartilaginous Fishes
(A) Family Carcharhinidae - Requiem Sharks All species of genus Carcharhinus (Freshwater sharks) (D).
(B) Family Potamotrygonidae - River stingrays All species (D).
This is a direct cut from http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_state.php?s=ca it clearly says all species of genus carcharhinus are banned from private owner ship but after that it states (freshwater sharks). So does this mean all carcharhinus are banned or only the "freshwater sharks"? Also would something like a whitetip reef shark be legal because it isn't carcharhinus it is Triaenodon?

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
I read that differently. The outline of banned species in CA lists the families as upper case letters in parentheses then elaborates to show the specific genus and sometimes species that is banned. When all species within the family are banned or there is only one genus or species banned it is stated within the letter listing. Numbers are used in the outline when there are multiple banned genus or species within the family but not all are banned. As an example, "(J) Family Cyprinidae - Carps and Minnows," is followed by a list of banned species. "(B) Family Potamotrygonidae - River stingrays All species," clearly states all species within the genus are banned. "(A) Family Carcharhinidae - Requiem Sharks All species of genus Carcharhinus (Freshwater sharks)" only states that species within the genus carcharhinus are banned.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You're correct. The link uses a slightly different format than the CA DNR site which denotes the involved Genus' as a subset (such as (A) subset 1.). The way the reg reads, whitetips are legal in CA.

TNTtropical

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
ABC
As a former resident of socal i was too confused by that law.... So then would bonnets, and zebras (stegs) be legal as well then?

Biomatic

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2015
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store