Need Some Science Fiction Readers

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I also like larry Niven. I do like Ringworld. I also like his Man-Kzin stories quite a lot.

An older book is Rendevous With Rama. I believe by Arthur C. Clark. As I recall, this tale has only classical physics (Newtonian physics) applied in the actions of the story. No hyperdrives, warp drives, teleporters or such. It is also a good read. Should be a bit easier to break down the classical physics involved. I would suggest the initial story and not the later sequels. This is the story I would use if I had your assignment.

Another author is David Drake. I am in particular thinking of his Hammers Slammers series. Some fanciful bits involved that go beyond classical physics, but not too much as I recall.

I also like Charles Sheffield. Higher Education comes to mind.

good luck

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I have ringworld now and I will be getting systemic shock by Monday. I will read a but of both and see what fits better. thanks for the help

Westie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
Bay Area CA USA
I'm pretty sure the movie Intersteller is in book form but, the theoretical physics in that movie were amazingly thought provoking. Sorry, I'm a techie so the majority of my reading comes from tech manuals these days.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
If you find that you like ringworld, i have the rest of the series in paperback if you want them. Plus a ton of other Niven books. Just cover the shipping.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
If you find that you like ringworld, i have the rest of the series in paperback if you want them. Plus a ton of other Niven books. Just cover the shipping.
thanks man but my physics teacher basement is full of all Sci-fi books. he literally donates to the public and school library because their lists are inadequate :ROFL:

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm pretty sure the movie Intersteller is in book form but, the theoretical physics in that movie were amazingly thought provoking. Sorry, I'm a techie so the majority of my reading comes from tech manuals these days.
was a phenomenal movie but wormholes are an impossible to explain concept and I don't really want to go into string theory in this report. it makes for an interesting read but a hard proof

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
You may be able to reference the 'Science of Interstellar' companion book by Kip Thorne (who one of the robots was named after) to make it a bit easier.

If you want sci-fi that deals with physics, may I suggest "Roadside Picnic" by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky?? It's basically a story about human expeditionary teams examining the site of an alien visit on earth, encountering dangerous zones (gravity inversion, absence, increases, etc.) around items that the aliens left behind. The story's conceit is that it's just their trash they left behind! ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store