Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

New Brackish tank

Discussion in 'General Brackish' started by VaceCooper, Mar 6, 2012.

1. VaceCooper

VaceCooper MFK Members

Flat roofing
      Hi, just signed up on this site. I was excited to see there is a forum just for brackish water aquariums. My wife and I just started up a brackish 55 gallon... someday move up to a 90. Its only at .002 sg right now, because we just moved our 3 columbian sharks their from a freshwater tank. We have some mono fish on order at our LFS, and some nerite snails. We also have a 90 gallon south american cichlid tank, a 55 gallon african, and a 20 gallon "time out tank".

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, and see if anybody has any good advice for a brackish noob!
      Thanks!
      -Vace

P.S. and our 6 year old has a 10 gallon spongebob squarepants tank ;)

2. fishtex

fishtex MFK Members

SOLDIER
      Sounds like A very active tank- which monos are you getting? I have some mono argentus and two cats in my brackish - they are very active and get pretty big- post some pics if you get a chance

3. VaceCooper

VaceCooper MFK Members

Flat roofing
      Well, Im not sure what kind of monos im getting yet... I had our LFS put them on the "fish wish list", and they are going to call me when they find out what their supplier has. Is the argentus the ones with the yellow fins? I really like those ones. Here is a couple pictures of when i had the tank cycling, i'll try and get some pictures with the sharkys in it later today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. brackishdude

brackishdude MFK Members

Welcome to BW tanks! Your 55, and even the 90, will be very full very quickly. Those are some big fish you've gotten (getting). Keep us posted

5. fishtex

fishtex MFK Members

SOLDIER
      Nice looking tank, looks like they'll have ample swimming room for a little while. and yes the argentus have the yellow coloration. 026.JPG
      these are mine - hard to get pics because they are so active

6. busterbrown

busterbrown MFK Members

you can never go wrong with archers, they are some awesome fish. you should try and get some scats

7. VaceCooper

VaceCooper MFK Members

Flat roofing
      I am a little scared of scats, we wanted them but we read that they are dinner plates with fins, where as the monos are more like a salad plate with fins... We definitely want to have a larger brackish tank in the future... maybe scats then. and archer fish would be cool! If i had one I would have a squirt gun next to the tank so I could have a water gun fight with it!

By the way, how long of a car ride could a fish be safely transported on? We know that we can get brackish fish around the Twin Cities area, but that would be about a 90-minute drive home. Thanks!

8. fishtex

fishtex MFK Members

SOLDIER
      90 minutes would be fine - just keep the temp stable and acclimate them properly when you get them home.

9. VaceCooper

VaceCooper MFK Members

Flat roofing
      So, our monos finally came in at the pet store the other day. Yes! lucky my wife stopped in to grab some food, they never even called us! Bastards! they are the argentus monos, and there was only 2 left. Im guessing the rest of them went to someones freshwater tank. But im super exited to have something in there besides the columbian sharks! heres a crappy picture of one of them... they didnt want to hold still.

[​IMG]