New Lima Shovelnose

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
I just got my Lima shovelnose today. 😊 such a beautiful fish. I've heard these guys are tough to get off live food. Any suggestions for what I should feed him? He's ate a few bloodworms today, no luck with pellets.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1429667292.265454.jpg

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I just got my Lima shovelnose today. 😊 such a beautiful fish. I've heard these guys are tough to get off live food. Any suggestions for what I should feed him? He's ate a few bloodworms today, no luck with pellets.

I feed the one we have at work krill. You could try that.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Okay I could try that. Does anyone know about shrimp? And would live or frozen work better? Sorry for the questions. I'm new to catfish and I want to make sure he's healthy. Not too much info on the web.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Okay I could try that. Does anyone know about shrimp? And would live or frozen work better? Sorry for the questions. I'm new to catfish and I want to make sure he's healthy. Not too much info on the web.

I would try frozen shrimp and tilapia too. I like to steer away from anything live unless i absolutely have to use it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Okay great! I didn't want to use live fish for sure. That's why I wanted to know what other people have had success with.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
So I got him to eat some mysis shrimp!! Yes!! After lights out tonight, I unthawed mysis shrimp and got some on my finger, wiggled in the water above him and he ate it right off my finger and then what went floating in the water.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Glad you got yours to eat! When they are young you can have some success getting them to eat dry foods but that's easier done in a quarantine tank or in a tank where other fish wont eat the pellets if they sit for a little bit. Other wise when they are younger they love bloodworms, brine shrimp, And mysis shrimp. Once they get bigger Krill,shrimp, cut silversides, and pieces of fish fillet are good options. you can also hide some pellets in the food to get them to eat healthier.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Yeah I've heard they can be difficult to feed when young. He's only on the tank with 2 tiny plecos, so no competition for food. He's eating well again tonight, mysis shrimp and bloodworms. He LOVES the mysis shrimp. He actually tried some pellets tonight but he spat them out lol I'm going to get more variety of food this weekend and try different things and figure out what he likes! Thanks for the advice!!

weirdfishlover

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 2, 2010
< The Red Dot >
Don't worry about feeding him feeds like shrimp or even tilapia fillets. I got mine to eat few days into being in its new tank and once they start feeding; watch it transform :clap

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
I got lucky with mine as the LFS apparently raised them on frozen bloodworm and mussel. It still took about a week before I got him to eat anything but now he'll take anything I throw in there. Really seems to enjoy Hikari carnivore and massivore. Also give him chopped fish fillet, scollaps, mussels or prawns a couple of times a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store