New mudskipper questions!

bordemstirs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
California
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but i joined because I have a few mud skipper questions. I have a Trio of Africans in a 55 gal, with a few bumblebee gobys, mollys and a guppy (we are hoping for muppys,) and some ghost and amano shrimp. Lot's of land and a planted tank.
Anyway my questions are:
Everything I read suggested skips aren't avid fish eaters. I learned this is not true, at all. What is the max size my guys can consume? They ate my molly fry but seem to struggle with krill the same size...

My trio is two males and a female (not my choice) they are all healthy and seem happy and active. But one of the boys spends almost all of his time hiding underwater. He comes out of his stump at night and for feeding, but generally just stays under water. Is this okay? Is it just his personality?

Does anyone have any advice for making your skips more handle able? I hand feed them often, and the two (not the above mentioned) let me give them the occasional pet. The second we come in the room they get excited and come to see what we are doing, and occasionally fight for the best people viewing spot lol.

Has anyone came across a sinking mud? I would like to give these guys a mud hole, but I want the mud to go to the bottom when they get it in the water.

Lastly, I have a variety of plants in the water, but I would like to get a forest-y look above ground as well. Right now all I have is an ivy, a lucky bamboo (which is too tall and will need to be taken out,) I have man groves but they haven't got leaves yet. Anyone have advice on a plant that can survive sand and high humidity?

As a side not I'm always looking for a fun and unusual tank mate or plant. I'm open to suggestions (so long as the suggestion doesn't eat anyone)

bordemstirs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
California
Oh, I forgot to mention, One of my skips bit me. Which all things considered I should have expected. Any advice on convincing your mudskippers you are not food?

Basicallysteve

Feeder Fish
Jul 30, 2015
Yea, I'm also having a similar issue. I just got 4 Indian mudskippers a few days ago, and they don't appear to be eating and they flee to the water whenever I arrive. Will they eventually get used to me?

bordemstirs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
California
Six months later:
I upgraded to a 75 gallon tank, hardspaped four lsnd form's and have to piecesof driftwood. All my skips spend most of their time out of water and fight much less.
I went to a local gardening store and got lily potting mud. It still fogs up the water but settles quick.
My guys never flee, they climb all over each other to get a look at you and when you open the tank they begg like puppies. One will even jump into the net and relax if I have it in there.
They have got way more sociable. Hopefully yours have too.
Now my only problem is disappearing fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store