Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Number of Clown Loaches in a 75 Gallon

Discussion in 'Loaches' started by sampster5000, Nov 29, 2010.

1. sampster5000

sampster5000 MFK Members

May 24, 2012
      Hello everyone. I am pretty sure that I will be completely re-doing my 75 gallon tank. I was wondering what a good number of clown loaches for this size of tank would be. I am not talking about what a good number would be when they are all over a foot long. I am saying what would be a good number for atleast 2-3 years before I could upgrade my tank size. Another question I have is if it is okay to keep other loaches with CL's or if the CL group would mess them up. The only other fish I would keep in the tank would be a pair of convicts and possibly a school of tetras. Thanks!

2. Sonny503

Sonny503 MFK Members

Technician during the day, Photography for Fun, Zo
      May 1, 2015
      I'm growing 8 of them out in a 75G right now. I run 2 Fluval 404s with my 75G. WC 20% every 2 days, becomes a PITA. Lots of hidding places, 4 Anubias plants, and I am thinking I can probably add 3-4 more. Until my 125G is ready next month. For your 75G, depending on your filtration, I say, 7 (under 3-4 inches ) is a good number,

3. Aphilophus

Aphilophus MFK Members

May 20, 2015
      i have 7 clowns 6 yoyos in a 90 gal. with schools of varies barbs. i do 50% wc every 4 days or so. i would think you could do 13 or so start with the young ones feed them well till they start to put on weight then normal feeding will work. also i would not do loaches with convicts.

4. sampster5000

sampster5000 MFK Members

May 24, 2012
      Any reason why you would not put them with convicts?

Thanks for the replies. Those are both around the number I was looking for. I was thinking 6 to 10. I bet I will have my 125 gallon by the time they become 3-4 inches. That is if they really do take years to grow that large. I'm not in a hurry or trying to speed up their growth. Just want to enjoy a group of them. I am glad to see that I can keep some other loaches with them.

5. aclockworkorange

aclockworkorange MFK Members

Oct 27, 2014
      They really do take that long to grow large! I think you're good with the 6-10 number, just keep those nitrates at bay!

6. JokerIndustries

JokerIndustries MFK Members

Security, Gas/Diesel/Generator/Small Engine Mechan
      Mar 29, 2012
      are they dirty fish? like goldfish

7. Lupin

Lupin Viviendo la vida loca!

Office employee.
      Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
      Jan 17, 2014
      Not much comparison but clowns are ridiculously slow growers. You need to give them space allowance if you want them to grow properly.

8. Josh the Happy

Josh the Happy MFK Members

May 6, 2013
      I have a WAY overstocked 55 with 11 loaches. emperor 400 & eheim 2217, (moving to new house this month, permanent tank shortly thereafter.)
      This was intended like a growout tank like yousr, but i went overboard, constant change-outs, had to cut meats - shrimp, chicken, worms - out the diet for a while, you should be fine, don't go crazy like i did and you wont have to change your water out daily.

9. sampster5000

sampster5000 MFK Members

May 24, 2012
      Thanks everyone. I will be doing a lot of reading on clowns and other loaches until I know for sure what I need to do. Its looking like I need some powerheads in there and a better heater!

10. Sab_Fan

Sab_Fan MFK Members

Apr 12, 2015
      wouldn't worry about it ... loaches can handle themselves quite nicely ... I had clowns with convicts, never an issue

I currently keep yo-yo loaches with convicts, and again, no worries ...