Ornate Monitor Enclosure Ideas 8x4x4

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Bored in class just thought I'd gather some ideas...I plan to be building an enclosure for my juvenile ornate monitor that is 8feet long 4 feet wide and 4 feet tall. I plan to use plywood and I plan to elevate it with a stand. I need any input/past experiences from you guys I can get as I've never done this before! As far as water dishes etc.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
I would use a stock tank as a water bowl. These lizards like to swim. I also think the size of cage you want to build will be temporary. These lizards need more room.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Bored in class just thought I'd gather some ideas...I plan to be building an enclosure for my juvenile ornate monitor that is 8feet long 4 feet wide and 4 feet tall. I plan to use plywood and I plan to elevate it with a stand. I need any input/past experiences from you guys I can get as I've never done this before! As far as water dishes etc.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
8x4x4 would be more comparable to how big the water dish should be. These if treated properly grow fast. This enclosure would be very temporary.

Think of it this way. Crawl into an 8x4x4. See how close your going to be to him every single time you have to do something.. one thing I learned about big lizards. They will never get comfortable with you if they feel crowded or cornered when you do maintenence.

This enclosure should be big enough for you to walk into and perform maintenence without pissing him off.

A 12x10x6 would be practical.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
8x4x4 would be more comparable to how big the water dish should be. These if treated properly grow fast. This enclosure would be very temporary.

Think of it this way. Crawl into an 8x4x4. See how close your going to be to him every single time you have to do something.. one thing I learned about big lizards. They will never get comfortable with you if they feel crowded or cornered when you do maintenence.

This enclosure should be big enough for you to walk into and perform maintenence without pissing him off.

A 12x10x6 would be practical.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Good advice.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store