Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Oscar Fish Growth rate

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by nick@nite, Aug 31, 2011.

1. nick@nite

nick@nite MFK Members

What is your experience with the growth rate of an oscar fish, what kind of diet did you have them on for this growth rate. I recently got back into Oscar fish and what amazes me is I kept 4 of them in a 10 gallon tank for a few semesters in college. I didn't know back then that they can grow so quickly. I have a 50 gallon now and I am going to get a 150 - 200 when the time comes, use the 50 gallon to quarantine.

2. k0y0te

k0y0te MFK Members

Data Entry for a Flight Academy
      on the average about an 1 inch a month. I feed mine pellets, veggies, fruits, frozen blood worms, frozen krill. But not all Oscars will grow at that rate, some slower , some faster. A buddy of mine Tiger Oscar grew about 1.5 -2 inches a month. They slow down alot in growth rate around 9+ inches. It's not uncommon to hear of an oscar hitting 12 inches by the time he/ she is a year old.

Since they are fast growers i would recommend that you get the big tank first. Most Oscars outgrow a 50 gallons in a matter of a couple of months (assumeing that you get him around 1-2 inches)

3. soulpatch

soulpatch MFK Members

Business Analyst
      My oscars were bought at perhaps an inch long and I was easily at 10 inches in all of 8 months. They have pretty much slowed down at this point and are not gorwing too quickly anymore.

4. BigUmbeeFan

BigUmbeeFan MFK Members

I had an oscar grow 1.5 inches a month. A matter of keeping water clean and feeding. The more they eat the faster they grow.

5. nick@nite

nick@nite MFK Members

Any particular filter you guys recommend for a 150 - 200 tank? It seems a lot of people love the Fluval FX5 but I don't have experience with canister filters yet.

6. importracer

importracer MFK Members

Keeping myself in the fate of the most powerful an
      Rule of thumb:
      75-100g for a single.....2 for a 100g...........You can safely raise a pair in a basic 6 foot 125g and they will thrive.........OScars grow quick, so a 50-55g is way unhealthy for this fish....Start this fish off in the tank they will be in for the rest of their life.......Many say a 75g is the best for one Oscar.........When it comes to Oscars, I like the minumum at 125g(foot)........A strong filtration system is needed for this type of fish...........It is best to build yourself one...A DIY wet/dry setup is the best filter for these monsters..........I have built one for my 1125g for under $100..........WOrks fuine.......An oscar can grow to 8-10 inches within a year.............

7. framcosco

framcosco MFK Members

IN my experience....if you get a 2-3" Oscar,....if housed properly (100gall+ tank), good diet, and do weekly maintenance (ie water changes, filter cleaning etc) ...... 12"s in about 1 year.

They grow pretty fast. Get a larger tank ASAP.

Personally, I use a combination of Hikari pellets (all sorts -- everyday), red wrigglers (2x-3x per week), (meal worms 1x per week), algae wafers (2x-3x per week), and the occasional mysis shrimp, market shrimp, and hikari frozen blood worms.

BTW, I doubt you kept several Oscars for several semesters in a 10 gallon tank.

8. Tayler

Tayler MFK Members

My 2 oscars did about 3.5" in the first month I had them an now they are growing a lot slower. I feed mine hikari cichlid gold an staple along with frozen foods an feeders every once in a while.

9. BigUmbeeFan

BigUmbeeFan MFK Members

Oscars are like garbage cans with fins...If it goes in the water it will disappear.

10. nick@nite

nick@nite MFK Members

I've been doing cichlid gold every day and a few times a week beef heart. I'm already looking at craigslist for a bigger tank, looks like I could get a 180 for $300 - $500.