Oscar Fish Growth rate

cacichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
FL
Beefheart is not healthy or necessary. Feed him worms (bloodworms, red wrigglers, nightcrawlers) crickets and live crayfish instead.

nick@nite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
USA
I honestly did keep them for 2 semesters in a 10 gallon, they probably didn't get fed enough and a proper diet... I was a dumb college kid back then and 10 gallon was the max they allowed in the dorms.

Jon M

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Port Saint John, FL
About 1"-1.5" a month until he reached roughly 8" and now he's slowed down a bit but still growing fairly fast.

Diet:
Hikari Gold Large Pellets
Massivore Sinking Pellets
Peas
Blood Worms
Beef Heart
Crickets
Algae Logs/Wafers (supposed to be for the tankmate :grinno:)
Few Giant Danio, Clown Loach, Silver Dollar (Not on purpose, obviously the rest of the school was moved there after)

I honestly did keep them for 2 semesters in a 10 gallon, they probably didn't get fed enough and a proper diet... I was a dumb college kid back then and 10 gallon was the max they allowed in the dorms.
We've all made pretty obscured rookie mistakes when first getting into the hobby. At least you know better now. :thumbsup:

cacichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
FL
I remember when I was like 12 years old my mom got me a 10 gal tank and I didn't know about chlorine or bacteria or anything so I would just empty the tank and fill it with tap water, always wondered why my fish kept mass dying. :( Casualties included a ghost knife and a red crayfish lol

cwj108

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I have had them grow as much as two inches a month on hikari gold, freeze dried shrimp/krill/bloodworms, and 2-3 water changes a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store