Oscar stomach exploded?

fishman09

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2011
Centralia, WA
if you want your fish to grow do more water changes. but i also feed small amounts a multiple times a day. i never feed too much at any feeding. the way i see it is people who eat the healthiest eat quality food many times a day in smaller quantities which keeps the metabolism going and allows for full absorbtion of the nutrients without filling up. i have a la ceiba freddy male that has grown from 2.5" to 8" in a matter of 6 months or so because i feed probably 3 times a day what they can eat in a matter of 15 seconds or so but more importantly i hchange 50% twice weekly. i also have a red devil male and hoga male that have grown from 2.5"-7.5" in about 5 months.

TMSB805

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Laurel Maryland
Sooooooo, now that we got the powerfeeding vs overfeeding vs waterchanging out the way lets find out what's going on with this "cavernous" hole you speak of.

cacichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
FL
I'm aware of the "water changes are the single biggest factor in the fish's growth" theory, but every organism needs energy to function and grow, and food provides that energy, there is no way around that. No matter how much water you change daily, if your fish is "burning" more energy than it consumes every day, it won't grow, at least not as much as it potentially could. In the wild, when water quality is not generally an issue, the fish that finds the most food is the one that will develop the most, breed the most and manage to raise the healthiest fry. Poor water quality in home aquariums negatively affects growth but ultimately it's food that makes all the difference... nothing survives on good water quality alone. So yes, a good, plentiful diet is just as important as good water quality.

The way I see it, powerfeeding is especially useful with young fish (I have tried it a few times in the past) and it involves feeding your fish small, varied high quality meals several times a day while keeping an eye on water quality. The difference is that overfeeding is normally related to bad fish keeping, poor water quality and sick fish, and powerfeeding is a heavy feeding schedule that you're completely aware of, so you can keep records and take the necessary measures to make sure your water quality isn't affected. Fat unhealthy fish can be avoided by providing large tanks with lots of room for swimming, digging and a strong current for them to "exercise" on. I don't recommend this practice (I realized there's no need to have your fish grow extremely fast purely for your own enjoyment) but I wouldn't go as far as condemning it or discrediting people that want to try it.

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
Whew, forgot to check the thread today... Anyways, I haven't fed him since Sunday (fed the tiger barbs tonight and he snagged a few tiny NLS pellets), and did a 75% WC today. His hole overnight has started to heal itself over, and his attitude hasn't been affected in the least by it.

On a side note, I'd like to make you all aware that I'm aware of my feeding regiment, and it is quite varied, and while I do feed a decent amount I don't go overboard. When I'm home to be able to feed him 3x a day (weekends because I'm a teacher so 2x a day is more common) he gets less per feeding.

He gets a varied diet of...

NLS pellets
Wardley Cichlid pellets
Hikari Gold pellets
Hikari food sticks
Omega One Shrimp pellets
Crickets
San Francisco Bay freeze dried krill

and the occasional bloodworm cube every 2-3 weeks

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
I'm aware of the "water changes are the single biggest factor in the fish's growth" theory, but every organism needs energy to function and grow, and food provides that energy, there is no way around that. No matter how much water you change daily, if your fish is "burning" more energy than it consumes every day, it won't grow, at least not as much as it potentially could. In the wild, when water quality is not generally an issue, the fish that finds the most food is the one that will develop the most, breed the most and manage to raise the healthiest fry. Poor water quality in home aquariums negatively affects growth but ultimately it's food that makes all the difference... nothing survives on good water quality alone. So yes, a good, plentiful diet is just as important as good water quality.

The way I see it, powerfeeding is especially useful with young fish (I have tried it a few times in the past) and it involves feeding your fish small, varied high quality meals several times a day while keeping an eye on water quality. The difference is that overfeeding is normally related to bad fish keeping, poor water quality and sick fish, and powerfeeding is a heavy feeding schedule that you're completely aware of, so you can keep records and take the necessary measures to make sure your water quality isn't affected. Fat unhealthy fish can be avoided by providing large tanks with lots of room for swimming, digging and a strong current for them to "exercise" on. I don't recommend this practice (I realized there's no need to have your fish grow extremely fast purely for your own enjoyment) but I wouldn't go as far as condemning it or discrediting people that want to try it.
Since I was quoted I feel a need to respond. First and foremost...I neither condemned or discredited anyone or thing. Simply said I didn't understand the practice and gave some of my rationale why. You are correct that, food plays an important part in overall growth. Of course it does. The fish that's in the wild that finds the most food will likely be larger. But in the wild, "water changes" are massive in rivers and streams. Let's take out the word, "power feeding" and substitute "frequent feeding"...better, but it still comes down to amount. I seriously doubt that the vast majority of people who practice the "PF" word take copious records. And what's the basis for amount? Pointing out the the fish "burns energy" and requires calories is correct...but how do you determine caloric out put vs. energy input? It's a guess. You bring up a very good point about a larger tank providing more room to move and thus energy burned. Still impossible to determine caloric intake...but a much better option. How many people do that.

Bottom line...the fish belongs to the guy that has it in the tank. Do with it as you wish. A sensible and varied diet (like humans) with attention to species specific needs (proteins vs. carbs) and large water changes...as I said in my second post..."my two cents"...is the way to go.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Just my two cents - Fish are opportunistic feeders. In the wild, if food is plentiful, a fish will eat until full. A wild fish never knows when its next meal will be. In an aquarium, it is a completely different story. We tend to overfeed our fish and end up with fat fish. There is a difference between a big fish and a fat fish. Most large fish would benefit from a day or two of fasting each week. It will be good for the fish (helps clear the digestive system) and good for the water quality of the tank (less fish waste).
You can't compare a fish living in the wild with a fish living in a tank. Wild fish have an unlimited amount of swimming space. The fish we keep are limited in swimming space by the size of our tanks.

Aquatik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto
Me and my friend have the same juvi fish he is not working, I am he feeds his fish two to three times and large servings and does water change every two to three Weeks. I feed once a day and water change once a week. His fish grow twice as fast as mine

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Congratulations to everyone who managed to derail yet another thread.. I'm sure there's more out there for you to offer your advice on - "that tank is too small", "you're feeding too much", "do you know how big that fish gets? I hope you have a pond" etc.

To the OP: I have NO idea what's going on with your Oscar but I'd love to see it (can we get a picture?) What're you doing to help it heal?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store