Oscar stomach exploded?

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Congratulations to everyone who managed to derail yet another thread.. I'm sure there's more out there for you to offer your advice on - "that tank is too small", "you're feeding too much", "do you know how big that fish gets? I hope you have a pond" etc.

To the OP: I have NO idea what's going on with your Oscar but I'd love to see it (can we get a picture?) What're you doing to help it heal?
Wow. Where'd that come from? It's a conversation. He brought up powerfeeding..therefore part of the conversation. Some folks offered some rationale input. I think we are all waiting to see what a "cavernous hole" looks like on a fish's belly. From the way it was described, I'm surprised it's eating at all. So once again...pictures?

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
Wow. Where'd that come from? It's a conversation. He brought up powerfeeding..therefore part of the conversation. Some folks offered some rationale input. I think we are all waiting to see what a "cavernous hole" looks like on a fish's belly. From the way it was described, I'm surprised it's eating at all. So once again...pictures?
I'm really sorry about not getting pictures yet, it basically looked like a balloon had too much air and popped in his stomach. Being a teacher and doing grad school at nights as well as running a musical I have very little time to take pics. I am doing big water changes and feeding lightly. Unsure about adding salt but I feel I should. He ate this morning and his attitude is unchanged, still a hungry happy puppydog oscar.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I agree with Joe.

I think that it's safe to assume that a slight case of overfeeding, power feeding, or whatever other term anyone here wants to use, had nothing to do with causing this fishes skin to burst open. If it did, half the damn fish on MFK would be swimming around with holes in their sides.

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
I agree with Joe.

I think that it's safe to assume that a slight case of overfeeding, power feeding, or whatever other term anyone here wants to use, had nothing to do with causing this fishes skin to burst open. If it did, half the damn fish on MFK would be swimming around with holes in their sides.
This is a fair point, but wouldn't a swim bladder issue also lead to erratic and uncontrollable swimming patterns? Or at least a change in them? The fish has not changed how he acts in any way shape or form.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Honestly it's impossible to say with any certainty as to what caused this issue, other than I think that slightly overfeeding a fish (if you even did?) would cause it. My first thought was heater burn, next in line would be a potential swim bladder issue. Even with detailed photos it's still going to become guess work at best. Keep your water clean, add a bit of salt, and pray to the fish gods is about all you can do at this point. Sounds like your fish may be working things out on his own.

Good luck.

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
It could also be a injury from decor or something of the such,i had a fish once punture himself on a piece of broken ceramic pot,looked like his side exploded,he pulled through but it left a pretty large scare(but it never slowed him down).
any pointy decor in the tank(driftwood,clay pots etc)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store