PART DEUX!!! - Epic Overhaul (3D Backgrounds/300g, 250g, 120g tanks)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I made my decision on the mounting the background and it will be like I originally said I wanted it. Like this:

DSC_0034.JPG

This the main reason (besides my just liking this way better). But the top right corner sticks out in a major way here so this is where I will mount my overflow plumbing. I am drilling the back of the tank and running the plumbing directly through the tank wall.

DSC_0034 - Cropped.JPG

This is the elbows I will be using on the inside of the tank. I am drilling two 1/2" holes in both sides of the elbows for a syphon break. I will drill them on the sides where the part sticking up is.

P1010308.JPG

I stole these from Google but are a good visual to what I am trying to do. I am drilling x3 holes for 1.5" bulkhead fittings. The first two are 90 degree elbows pointed down, the third will be a modified elbow turned up (emergency drain). The first elbow will be full syphon, the second will be closed off. I am closing this off so if I upgrade the pump/GPH in the future I can open it up and not have to redo the tank plumbing (once the background is in, the plumbing is permanent).

I will be cutting the upturned elbow so the top of the elbow is no higher than the top of the bulkhead fitting of the main syphon. This will make it impossible for my water level to exceed what the sump volume can handle when the pump is off.

standpipe-close.jpg

The back of the design is almost exactly what I am doing but I will just be using 90 degree elbows turned down instead of the pieces that stick up in this design since I am going full syphon.

standpipe-back.jpg

Thi is another Google example but is pretty spot on to what I want. I just will be doing this inside the tank, not an overflow box.

top view.jpg

I bought one of the three bulkhead fittings yesterday (the other two come in tomorrow) and the Loc-Line returns. Good lord this stuff is spendy.... :irked: I will have to buy a few more of these but I am going to try and find some used from our local saltwater guys.

loc-line2.JPG

I am leaving in an hour or so to go pick up the rest of the plywood and finish the stand/move the tank. I'll have some more pics up tonight. Good stuff :thumbsup:

DSC_0034 - Cropped.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

loc-line2.JPG

P1010308.JPG

standpipe-back.jpg

standpipe-close.jpg

top view.jpg

Sonny503

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Fish room most of the time.
Great progress. that 250 after polishing it, is nice and clean, looks 10 times better than before! Liking those 3d backgrounds.
I might consider it for my big tank. looking forward to seeing the setups when it's all complete.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Thanks for the simplification guys. Do you like them considerably more than say canisters? Are they cheaper to setup?

Sorry for the thread hijack Justin.
They're just different. Canisters are great because they're plug and play. I don't like cleaning them at all though. I really like filter socks in sumps because I can change them out in a couple minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
Thanks for the input about the sumps guys it's greatly appreciated.

Justin I love those backgrounds. I am seriously considering buying one for my 125.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Great progress. that 250 after polishing it, is nice and clean, looks 10 times better than before! Liking those 3d backgrounds.
I might consider it for my big tank. looking forward to seeing the setups when it's all complete.
Thanks Sonny! When are we going to get pics of you new big tank? :popcorn:

Thanks for the input about the sumps guys it's greatly appreciated.

Justin I love those backgrounds. I am seriously considering buying one for my 125.
You bet :thumbsup: go for it bro you won't regret it.

(TODAYS PICS IN A BIT)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I just got back from the new house. Unfortunatly I didn't make a ton of progress I was hoping for. I was going to finish the stand since I bought the plywood this morning but unfortunatly I broke my jigsaw. Anyone local have one I can borrow? This is how I mark off where to cut to fit. I used a couple of the shims I cut from the 2x6's to mark off the thickness of the stand. A very ghetto way to do things but I'm no wood worker. I can't finish the stand until I can get my hands on a way to cut these out. All I have is hand tools.

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

This is how the bulkhead fittings will be going through the back of the tank. I did not buy pieces to make the taller version in the diagrams above. Anyone see any issue with this? It will be running full syphon with two syphon breaks drilled on down turned elbows on the inside of the tank.

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

Example of how the plumbing goes through the back of the tank wall. You can see why I want the background mounted this way. This chamber in the background was built to hide intakes.

DSC_0043.JPG

I plan to have the two intakes farthest away from the side of the tank so the plumbing down the back of the tank does not have to have uneccessary bends to get around the leg of the stand (better seen in the second pic below) resulting in restricted flow. I have the background laying flat on the top of the stand here so I can experiement with everything/measure. Imagine the top of the stand as the back wall of the tank please.

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

I will obviously have to cut down the height on the up turned elbow but that has been part of the plan all along.

DSC_0048.JPG

Update to the timeline:
Mon- Finish the stand, cut the styrofoam, level stand, buy the two remaining bulkheads.
Tue- Drill the tank, install bulkhead fittings for overflow, cut the height of the background down.
Wed- Break the background into 7 pieces, install in tank (LONG DAY), buy 300 lbs sand at lunch.
Thu- Plumb overflows, add sand, rocks, lights, fill and heat up.
Fri- Move fish to new tank. Move 125g (current tank) to new house, set up 125g at new house.
Sat- MFK'ers coming over to to move 120 gallon and 300 gallon, set up 120g, move dovii pair to 125g.
Sun- Tear down 300 gallon, install new background in 300 gallon (VERY LONG DAY).
Mon- Cleanup aftermath of all tanks moved/move houses (all our stuff, no time for tanks that day).
Tue- Install drip system.
Wed- Move dovii to 300g, tear down 125g.

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Awesome thread JK47! Alot of this stuff is over my head but I am learning;) Good luck with the long week you have ahead of you. Look forward to more updates.
I wouldn't post this if it were something everyone knew how to do/easy. We need more people to step up and post topics that are pushing the limits of what most aren't comfortable with or we aren't contributing anything new to the hobby, that's why I enjoy posting this stuff I'm learning too ;)

Thanks for the good luck wishes. This week is going to suck and be a blast at the same time!

I have a reciprocating saw you can use. Can you pick up 200 pounds of sand for me? They load it in your car for you so no extra effort. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I got your back. I need to get the address before the day of though ;) I am going to be doing a lot of this on my lunches. Text me and I got you covered.

5hour energy, mans best friend!
:ROFL: so true..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store