Pet octopus?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Very fascinating , and intelligent pet too own short term fed mine live fiddler crabs. It amazed me how strong even the smaller species are. At the time in 1988 paid $49.99 for the little octopus. :)

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I've seen a few people keep Day Octopus and Opihi Octopus. They were wild caught and never seemed settle into the aquarium. They are cool animals and very intelligent. Once they associate you with food, you would think they would be easy to tame.

Westie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
Bay Area CA USA
I made the mistake of buying a blue dot octopus and puting him in with fish. The only thing the seller told me was it was poisonous which to a younger me only fueled the fire/desire. I woke up every morning to another dead fish and couldn't realize why. Until one morning I found him sucking the life out of my yellow tang. I tried to grab it with a net and it inked and disappeared. Needless to say everything died and I had to start from ground zero. While a learning experience it was also one of the dumbest things I've ever done in salt water.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
oh....I thought Morays predated on cephalopods....favorite prey, iirc......

but mine are so small....getting thicker, but still small to me

...or did you mean Sushi FOR Morays? I'm a little tipsy hee hee, sowwy Tom-tom lol

A few species of Moray prey on them like you stated.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
All the years I have spent working with cephalopods I would recommend not to they have poor track records to aquarist even the best of us, as well as short life spans not lasting very long the draw of owning an octopus is great but the reality is they don't survive if you manage to keep successfully they usually die with there short lifespan of a year the pacific giant octopus is the longest lived at 6 years which isn't aquarium trade available. The tank from tanked he already lost that octopus.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
All the years I have spent working with cephalopods I would recommend not to they have poor track records to aquarist even the best of us, as well as short life spans not lasting very long the draw of owning an octopus is great but the reality is they don't survive if you manage to keep successfully they usually die with there short lifespan of a year the pacific giant octopus is the longest lived at 6 years which isn't aquarium trade available. The tank from tanked he already lost that octopus.

Thanks for sharing :) Was it Tracy Morgan's octopus?

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store