Pink Convict X Texas Cichlid

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
The fade gene and leucism, which causes pink convicts, are 2 totally different things.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
Let me try to explain. The gene that causes pink color in convicts is recessive, meaning that if you cross the pink con with a texas the texascons will all carry the pink gene but they won't show the pink gene. If you breed 2 of those hybrids together (if they were fertile) you would get about 25% of the fry to express the pink gene, 50% carriers of the pink gene, and the rest would not have the pink gene at all. But the hybrids probably won't have fertile males so you'd have to cross a hybrid female to a male pink con, then 75% of those would show the pink gene and the test would be pink gene carriers. You following?

They teach this stuff in highschool you know...

Im not really sure how the fading gene that comes from some amphilophus species (same gene found in red texas) works though. I just know that when you bred a fader to a non fader, some offspring will fade, I think, I honestly haven't looked into faders that much. Lol

Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ErnieG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2012
Maryland
Let me try to explain. The gene that causes pink color in convicts is recessive, meaning that if you cross the pink con with a texas the texascons will all carry the pink gene but they won't show the pink gene. If you breed 2 of those hybrids together (if they were fertile) you would get about 25% of the fry to express the pink gene, 50% carriers of the pink gene, and the rest would not have the pink gene at all. But the hybrids probably won't have fertile males so you'd have to cross a hybrid female to a male pink con, then 75% of those would show the pink gene and the test would be pink gene carriers. You following?

They teach this stuff in highschool you know...

Im not really sure how the fading gene that comes from some amphilophus species (same gene found in red texas) works though. I just know that when you bred a fader to a non fader, some offspring will fade, I think, I honestly haven't looked into faders that much. Lol

Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Mr. Know it all, first off i know how recessive genes work i make 75k a year selling investment quality ball pythons and leopard geckos, secondly im not argueing with the fact that the pink convict and texas will produce faders but he was saying that the texas doesnt have a fade gene and i was saying if that was true when u breed a texas to a blood parrot or red devil you wouldnt get any faders. So he is wrong when you breed a texas to blood parrot or red devil you get faders the first generation.

• Haha
Reactions: Thelatinofishlover

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Mr. Know it all, first off i know how recessive genes work i make 75k a year selling investment quality ball pythons and leopard geckos.
Really? Lol. :screwy:

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
No Im laughing at this thread. What Brandon said about Leucistism is right. And yes the fader gene comes from a lot Amphiophus and a couple other species of fish outside it. But creating Red Texas isnt as simple as you think, a lot of people fail to grasp that.

Sent from my Motorola Triumph

showcase gars

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2010
Tallahassee,Florida
I think mine might b one

showcase gars

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2010
Tallahassee,Florida
Is this wat u guys are talkin bout?

uploadfromtaptalk1350595774880.jpg

ErnieG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2012
Maryland
No Im laughing at this thread. What Brandon said about Leucistism is right. And yes the fader gene comes from a lot Amphiophus and a couple other species of fish outside it. But creating Red Texas isnt as simple as you think, a lot of people fail to grasp that.

Sent from my Motorola Triumph

Im not in anyway saying that they will make a red texas or fader i was just guess, I love convicts and when i bred a pink convict to a pure regular black convict i produced pink and black offspring. And the black convict was pure( not carrying pink gene) i bred it to the pink convict and produce some pink and black offspring so how is the pink convict gene recessive? Or is it only recessive when cross breeding?

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
Ernie, are You Bumble Boy on fauna classifieds?
I can believe you breeding ball pythons and leopard geckos but making 75k a year, that's a little hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store