Prepping for and Surviving power outtages

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
I just bought a "cheap" 1000 watt portable generator at Lowes, and keep it at the ready at all times. Pure sine wave output ? no. Runs all my tanks ? Yes.
I also installed an unused computer UPS to run the filters until I get the generator fired up.
I'm fortunate enough to have someone at home pretty much all the time that knows what to do in the event of an extended outage (an hour gets things moving), and the UPS/generator combo. has worked flawlessly.

WayneSB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
Maine
Good thread idea. I got lucky once with a power outage. Middle of winter in Maine. Out of power for two days. While I still had hot water in the tank and my well pump battery backup wasn't dead, I would pour a gallon of warm water in every hour or so to keep things up to temp. Water got down to the 50's, but I did know enough not to feed them after learning about goldfish and their winter habits. Thankfully, the few fish I did have in the tank were already very hardy and have been through a lot. After two days the power came back on, and I let things warm back up with the heater so it didn't happen to quickly.

I got lucky though. Any longer and I would have been screwed.

I really need to get a battery backup system for my filter at the very least.

BlackKnife86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2007
Michigan
GREAT THREAD!!! My dads power went out while he was at work and he called me in a panic, "what do i do" So i was like hold on let me hit up MFK. This thread saved my pops 180! thanks man!

ChileRelleno

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
Mobile, AL
Glad to have been of service!

sailing_derrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2007
South Africa
I use air from a dive tank to circulate my water, this works graet for me as i'm a dive instructor and here in Capetown Southafrica we get power cuts all the time, not sure what i'm going to do when winter comes our way. Insulation suggestions anyone????

Rochen28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
Singapore
Its there such a product..solar pond oxygenator? if so where can i get them? I run 3 breeding ponds of rays and the thot of power cuts give me nightmares.

congofeet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
California
I have sponge filters in all my tanks (in addition to power filters) so if the power ever cuts out for a prolonged period of time I just hook my battery powered pumps to them and not only am I good for aeration, but also filtration.

congofeet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
California
Rochen28;1567801; said:
Its there such a product..solar pond oxygenator? if so where can i get them? I run 3 breeding ponds of rays and the thot of power cuts give me nightmares.

Taz2478;868488; said:
Solar Pond Oxygenator

works pretty good and keeps tanks nicely aerated.

FishDojo God

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2008
Siam
Hi
I do not understand this :
A very important thing to know is that the debris (organic matter)
and the bio-mass in your filters can die and turn toxic in a very short time period.
This can kill your fish if you let the filters flush this into the tank when power comes back,
filter media should be removed and floated in the tank.

Shall i remove my media, wash it, sit it in the main pond with the fish and p.a.p w airstone under it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store