Pressurized CO2 Injection - 101

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
jcardona1;4283889;4283889 said:
ok here's my thoughts on the above mentioned kits. first off, i generally dont like these co2 'kits' since they usually put over-priced items together. your better off buying the regulator itself and piecing everything else together.

if you have a low budget, like $150-200, then here's what i recommend. forget about the $115 dr.f&s sells, it's junk. the Azoo regulators have been known to have several problems including not holding bubble rates steady. keep in mind youll still need to buy a co2 tank. i would instead get the Milwaukee regulator on ebay. they go for $80-100 new, and come with a much better built-in bubble counter. the plastic bubble counter on the drfs kit is crap, tubing costs nothing, and the timer is something you can get from walmart for $5. the glass diffusor is not gonna work on a big tank like the one youre working on.

now, if youre able to spend $250-300 on a co2 kit, then GLA's is a good choice. but again, i feel its an overpriced kit. see post #10-11 in this thread, i talked about this exact same setup.

let me know what youre budget is and we can go from there. the co2 regulator is one of those things where you get what you pay for.

Myarbro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Memphis TN
Now that I read your conversation with TropicalFishKing, I think I have a better idea about everything.

For the Milwaukee, I suppose you are talking about this...
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-Solenoid-Regulator-Counter/dp/B001DTNWF2

I might step it up a notch and purchase the Sumo(?) regulator with Ideal needle that you purchased.

I will be settling with a 10lb tank. I would go for a 20lb, but I work very close to a refill place and my space under the tank is limited.

As far as getting the Co2 into the water, let's just say I didn't want to go the DIY route. Not saying I won't, but I want my options in front of me. :) So if I were to purchase something, what would be your recommendations. You said the glass diffuser from GLA wouldn't cut it for a tank my size (120gal) right? What if I had the hose split and ran maybe 2-3 of those diffusers?

They have a lot of other options here on GLF. Suggest any of these?
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-diffusers.html

For the entire system, I would not really like to breach the $400 range. So lets say -$90 for tank, and $10ish for timer. That would leave me with $300 for all the other necessities, and that's really pushing it as far as my finds go. Still got a LOT LOT LOT more money to spend on the other stuff for the tank.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Myarbro;4283997;4283997 said:
Now that I read your conversation with TropicalFishKing, I think I have a better idea about everything.

For the Milwaukee, I suppose you are talking about this...
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-Solenoid-Regulator-Counter/dp/B001DTNWF2

I might step it up a notch and purchase the Sumo(?) regulator with Ideal needle that you purchased.

I will be settling with a 10lb tank. I would go for a 20lb, but I work very close to a refill place and my space under the tank is limited.

As far as getting the Co2 into the water, let's just say I didn't want to go the DIY route. Not saying I won't, but I want my options in front of me. :) So if I were to purchase something, what would be your recommendations. You said the glass diffuser from GLA wouldn't cut it for a tank my size (120gal) right? What if I had the hose split and ran maybe 2-3 of those diffusers?

They have a lot of other options here on GLF. Suggest any of these?
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-diffusers.html

For the entire system, I would not really like to breach the $400 range. So lets say -$90 for tank, and $10ish for timer. That would leave me with $300 for all the other necessities, and that's really pushing it as far as my finds go. Still got a LOT LOT LOT more money to spend on the other stuff for the tank.
yup, that's the Milwaukee regulator i was talking about.

i suppose you could run mutiple glass diffusors on opposite ends of the tank. theoretically it should work, but then its starts to get expensive when they cost $15-20 each.

if youre looking for another store-bought option, then an external reactor work work. it's similar in design to the DIY PVC reactor but theyre big ugly and bulky! and expensive, here's an example http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+9918&pcatid=9918

as you can see, most diffusion methods always come back to the tried and true Rex Grigg-style PVC reactor. running it inline with a canister filter avoids any extra equipment in the tank.

GLA has some nice glass diffusors, but i again i wouldnt recommend them unless youre running a 30g tank or smaller. the biggest they have are the Inline models that can handle aquarium up to 55g, but these are $110 each, ridiculous!! my opinion is that a lot of these ADA-style products are more for show.

lots of people will try to save money here and go for the more effective and more cost-effecient PVC reactor. i would suggest using clear PVC, its nice to see whats going on inside of that thing :)

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
just wanted to show a pic of my DIY PVC reactor using clear 2" PVC. clear PVC isnt cheap, but it's well worth it. on the inside i added a little elbow fitting to the hose where the co2 enters so that i could see the bubbles enter right in the middle of the incoming water column.

IMG_20100713_210352.jpg

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
Also, with the reactor from Foster and Smith you have to get a 17 gph power head. It was under the testimonials.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Tropicalfishking;4285475;4285475 said:
Also, with the reactor from Foster and Smith you have to get a 17 gph power head. It was under the testimonials.
yeah, unless you plumb it inline with your canister filter, or as i'm doing, the return pump from the sump...

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
OH! duh, Sorry. If I was going to DIY a reactor like that for a 75 gallon about how big/tall do you think I should make it to dissolve the most Co2 into my tank? It will be hooked up to a cascade 1500 canister filter...

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Tropicalfishking;4285493;4285493 said:
OH! duh, Sorry. If I was going to DIY a reactor like that for a 75 gallon about how big/tall do you think I should make it to dissolve the most Co2 into my tank? It will be hooked up to a cascade 1500 canister filter...
my previous was one as about 22" if i remember correctly. it worked fine with my Cascade 1500. this one is about 24", plumbed to a 1000gph pump. i think the general rule is about 2ft or less, and 2" in diameter

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
Ok, Thanks! When you seeled the inside adaptor in the reactore, the one that lets the Co2 into it did you use a special kind of glue?

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
nothing special, just regular GE I silicone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store