Q's about Back-feeding Electricity from Generator

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I read you post again John and I see what you saying. Yes it is much more economical to run at higher voltages which require the smaller conductor size

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
we agree....... ampacity table / nec gives whats legal/safe

sometimes bigger is better in you need minimal voltage drop

this is a big deal at low voltage ( 12 24 etc) less of an issue at higher voltage except for longer runs.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
That chart in the link provided is way off the mark. Copper wire has a current rating much higher then what that chart shows. This especially holds true for the larger wire #8 and above, while the smaller wire also has a higher rating(even #12 at 40 amps) it is limited by the code to what size over-current protection can be used(#12 at 20 amps),
Doesn't seem far off to me. All the charts including NEC is around the same area. Maybe for the wires max current handling ability is much high than the max code handling. Unless I just havn't found the correct NEC table.

dawnmarie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
California Delta
www.eddosharbor.com
Looks like previous posts pretty well covered it.
One thing to pay attention to carefully is what gauge wire is in your extension cord/SO Cable. Here is a link to a helpful calculator(www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html), you need to know circuit length and max amperage output on generator

robr0924

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
magnolia
we where ya'll when we went two weeks with no power during IKE!!!! It was murder!!! I ran extension cords for 3 days. I'll print this out and save it for a rainy dead.

sharko83

Feeder Fish
Sep 21, 2010
Wagga Wagga, Australia
just so you know breaker ratings are for continuous load so a 15amp breaker can run at 15amps trip times start from there the sub board is the best and only way to do it as accidentally turn the main on and back feeding the grid is extremely dangerous to a lot of people if possible getting an electrician to do this is the best way as im pretty sure that electrical there must be done by a licensed electrician same as here due to it potential to cause death with only the smallest of over site.

snipe07garage

Feeder Fish
Jun 12, 2016
I have installed a generator safety lockout switch in my panel and installed a 240V 30 amp breaker to back feed my generator into the panel using 10/3 with ground cable and a generator feed receptacle outside the home. My question is, I have everything working with the exception of three single pole circuits 15 and 20 amp respectively and on separate legs of the back fed generator feed. Why do these three circuits not energize? I have tried every circuit individually and just three of them out of 22 will not energize. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store