Raninus tank

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
So while the site been down I had to fill the time and get a tank sorted for the two raninus. I was thinking a 4x1x1.5 would work or may be have a switch around and see what space I can make until I went to a new LFS.

they had an old coral display tank, well they had a couple but they were drilled and I don't wont a sump system. the one I got was 39"x 27"x 12". giving a massive floor space and 52G in volume.

well the plan was to keep the cats in the bedroom. at the moment they are doing really well in there because there is limited movement until evening, also they dont really move through the day. so the tank is quite a size and a couple of things came up over the way its built, the stand for it is an issue as space is limited was hoping to stick it on some draws the nexts was lighting, i want to try my hand at live plants but the cats hate lights so natural is a possible option. lastly is the top, with out bracing the top would be an issue especially if im going to use natural lighting.

so once it was cleaned I played with sighting the tank., also I painted the back of the tank a light green it should hide in the plants but also let some light through. the top will stay clear for the more natural lighting. we seem to have some more natural activity at the moment in the small holding tank under natural lighting.

current housing

the two tank for size difference and where the new tank will stay for now

so now I need to sort some sort of lid or top. I put some braces in using 8mm acrylic these are only there to support the lid not for strength. I have read mix report on Acrylic to glass so ill see how it goes.

next was to make the lid so used the same acrylic and cut some holes in and room for cable to come out the back.

also started to add the decor. the plan is to have a SA Bio-type (if i can find the right tank mates ). so i have some slate in the middle and from one corner to the other. this give me two areas to plant and these have been layered up ready for some Java ferns and hardy plants. i have given all the slate a light dusting of sand and pushed it in the cracks this will hopefully encourage some grow in these areas. the centre will have a nice piece of drift wood that i may attach some moss to.

the plan is to also have some small drift wood in the planted areas too. Im hoping that the cats and dither fish will use the plants as cover but be seen moving between the two during feeding etc.

its now quarter full waiting for the plants, filter and heater to arrive so I can finish.

issues im still working out is what tank mates to put in. I was thinking my BGK might work for a while, its currently 6", the cats are 3" but have a 1" mouth lol I have been told to stick to laterally long fish, so i got some young angels to go in there but these may out grow the 11" depth of the tank now the sub-straights in. suggestions welcome.

ill update once i get back home. all feed back welcome..

Reactions: jordanlewis100

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
looking good dude.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
so my heater and filter have turned up today, so ill be swapping some media around this weekend and using some of my WC water to top the tank up and then ill get it all running, i got a couple of expendables to go in and help bring the tank on for a couple of weeks while i wait for the plants to be brought.

when i got home tonight having been away for a week i notice these marking in the tank. now I have used mature water and substraite, all the rocks have been washed and i cant see any thing in there but looks like something have been moving about.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
filters and heater fitted, mature water and media in and some dither fish to bring it on. Just waiting for plants to get here and its ready to go.

the green back ground gives it a murky look (maybe the water aswell) i think it gives the tank more depth.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
yep two bumblebee jelly cats

on top of these two there is a trio of angels, a BGK and a few other dither fish may be some rainbows, but it will all depend on what the cat dont wont to eat lol

Reactions: jordanlewis100

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
actually they my wifes hahaha, the first fish she really asked for and paid alot of interest in, but they are cool at feeding time.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
yep a more natural environment from now on. I made some changes to the tank tonight ill get some pics in the morning

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store