real or artificial driftwood? fake or live plants?

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
I have some fake plants but I prefer sticking to the real stuff. Including wood.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
wow i will sell my fake stuff instantly then. so could i collect my own? like i saw someone say oak branches in another thread, so what are the best types of wood? can i use pine? i know its toxic to reptiles, but is it the same with fish? thnx, sorry ive done real plants, $&#@ pacu ate them all, but he's going bye bye.

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
I prefer real plants but since you are doing central americans, i would do fake plants considering they will more than likely eat them or shread them. plus you have to have proper lighting and what not. I would still do real driftwood though.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
ya i have the lights anyway, my last tank had real plants. and cant firemouths, sajicas, and swordtails be ok with live plants? i know they have to be hardy cause of the jds, my one jd is gonna be a slight issue. i am thinking some grass plants, and swordplatnts, along with java moss and fern growing on the wood.

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
Experiment397;4446548; said:
ya i have the lights anyway, my last tank had real plants. and cant firemouths, sajicas, and swordtails be ok with live plants? i know they have to be hardy cause of the jds, my one jd is gonna be a slight issue. i am thinking some grass plants, and swordplatnts, along with java moss and fern growing on the wood.
you could maybe do swords or something big rooted, but they will more than likely eat it or rip it up to make it their home.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Definitely go with fake plants (kind of a waste of money to put real plants in a tank with CA cichlids). For the driftwood, it depends on its purpose and how it looks. If the DW is just in there for decoration, I'd go with real driftwood, but if it's for shelter, then it would depend on whether you could find a good piece of real driftwood for it, if not then it would be better to go with fake DW, imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store