Red Head Tapajos Breeding Journal and Questions

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
PS here is an example of an average male vs female with the male on the right. That male is about 6" with the female around 5"

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Well, I have eggs again. Group went through some aggressive breeding posturing, then all of a sudden looked downright awful (thought something was wrong with my tank), and now the pair laid. I think the aggressive breeding behavior prior to the spawn stressed everyone out.

Came home yesterday to find the pair guarding eggs. This time I was more prepared. I divided the pair on their own side of the tank with egg crate. Nursery tank is up and running in the event I get fry. I'll be out of town the remainder of today and tomorrow. I hope to come back tomorrow night the parents carrying fry. Fingers crossed!

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
right on. they sure can get nasty when they start to breed, but everyone will be okay as long as they have somewhere to get away to. its a good idea separating them, I never bothered but you will no doubt keep more fry. you might come back and think that they have eaten the eggs, which might happen, but most likely they will be hanging out with their mouths closed making a chewing motion. that means they are holding them.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
right on. they sure can get nasty when they start to breed, but everyone will be okay as long as they have somewhere to get away to. its a good idea separating them, I never bothered but you will no doubt keep more fry. you might come back and think that they have eaten the eggs, which might happen, but most likely they will be hanging out with their mouths closed making a chewing motion. that means they are holding them.
I think they're holding them. No sign of the eggs and they're going the chewing motion like you said. No fry yet so that's what I'm thinking? Could have possibly been caused by the stupid pleco getting under the divider. They probably thought the eggs were in danger and scooped them up. They were laid sometime Monday early in the day. So if I'm correct, I should have some fry today, latest tomorrow.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
yea they might keep em in their mouth for a bit, ive found that varies a bit. maybe it depends on how safe they feel.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
yea they might keep em in their mouth for a bit, ive found that varies a bit. maybe it depends on how safe they feel.
Yup! And we have fry! Came back from being away for the weekend and the parents were holding. This morning they carefully placed them in a gully with low current. They then took turns feeding. Pretty cool stuff!

Now the real question:

1) Do I remove the parents from the tank and put them in the 20L nursery...if so...how long should I wait?
2) Should I just wait until the fry are swimming and move them over?

Not quite sure. Here's a quick video of the parents tending to the fry

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
just my opinion, but to me the whole point of spawning redheads is to allow the parents raise the brood. and for me to watch them do it all. watch the fry learn to enter and exit parents mouths. and watch fry learn to swim together like a little herd and follow parental signals about safety zones etc. I wouldn't even spawn them if I have to remove fry and miss the Show!
your tank is smaller than mine, but so is your group. I would remove Pleco. make a sort of visual "barrier" (like a fence of fake plants) which the pair can guard fry inside of it. Do that around the location parents are already using, allowing generous room for the pair to work inside. let fry learn to forage and run to safety of parents' mouths until they are too big. Parents will fight off other redheads for their space. When I did it, my geo group of 7 was in a 75G with 2 heckelli and no bottom feeders. Parents, after a period of learning tries, eventually forced all other fish to the opposite side of tank.
IMO, it is frustrating the parental learning curve to let them succeed to the point of a good beginning and then cut them off by taking their fry. Like I say, just my own view.... and, specifically, on redhead/ mouth brooders. There is SO MUCH social interaction to their natural method.
IF you feel totally compelled to remove fry and raise yourself, I would still leave at least half in the parents' care. BUT stealing some may scare the parents enough that they will eat the ones you leave. young pairs do that when invaded. It's your toss of the dice.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
After talking with a LFS today and reading your post, I'm going to elect to leave them with the parents for now. I'll try to remove the pleco but really don't want to stress the pair too much. Last time I had to get the pleco to the other side of the divider it was a nightmare.

Bought some frozen baby brine shrimp that i'll try to go ahead and feed with a turkey baster.

I guess once the fry seem to be independent of the parents I'll move them to the separate tank.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
After talking with a LFS today and reading your post, I'm going to elect to leave them with the parents for now. I'll try to remove the pleco but really don't want to stress the pair too much. Last time I had to get the pleco to the other side of the divider it was a nightmare.

Bought some frozen baby brine shrimp that i'll try to go ahead and feed with a turkey baster.

I guess once the fry seem to be independent of the parents I'll move them to the separate tank.
the fry don't need baby brine shrimp at this point. their mouths are so small. (some people feed decapsulated brine shrimp eggs) all I ever fed mine was "NLS GROW" formula. it is easy to drop right down into their area, sinks to bottom. Parents eat it too. It is less polluting of tank. Less tempting for the other adults to swim over and compete for. I grew mine out to a good couple inches. plenty of water changes. I got store trade in for my babies in another town. The store manager was very impressed with their health and beauty.
You may get away without Pleco trouble now that fry are being mouth-brooded. Try it. I would say if the fry disappear, then remove it before the NEXT spawn. Sometimes the new young pair just keeps getting a little further along as they learn with each spawn.
Do Partial water changes, water changes, water changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Jay
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store