Rio Inirida H Severus...

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
From my understanding, which is mainly just the differences between them is that U. Amph gets bigger but is less aggressive. It will accept a much wider range of conidtions and spawn without too much fuss in home aquaria. As opposed to U. Fernandez which will stay ~4in smaller and fight back anyone who bothers it, requires a low ph and requires specific conditions to produce viable fry. Both a relatively peaceful in the cichlid department being comparable to severums, with probably less conspecific aggression.

Ryan_R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
Athens, OH USA
Thanks guys!

Uaru have been on my bucket list. There are some on AquaBid right now for cheap, so I might give them a go. Trying to access the quality of the critters being sold first. May mix in a group of Gymnogeophagus meridionalis from Jeff Rapps.

-Ryan

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Remember that Gymnos require a cool down period. I would not house them with Heros or Uaru.

Also remember that Uaru are large fish, require veggies in their diet, and need very clean water to prevent HITH. Uaru amphiacanthoides are easy if you make sure to keep those things in mind, but they are not as forgiving as severums when it comes to water quality.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Yeah, I always grow out six at a time which as adults would probably need more than a 125 with other tankmates. I tried splitting up a group once and kept two with some other fish but they got shy and didn't want to eat. So I'd suggest at least 4 - 6.

I usually keep my temperature 82 - 84F with them. I essentially raise them like discus.

Ryan_R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
Athens, OH USA
Thanks guys! Good tip on the Gymnos.... had read about it recently but didn't put it together! Do regular Red head Geo's need a cool down?

The plan is to go with 6 Uaru. The tank is heavily filtered: XP3 and XP4 with some old Magnum 350 biowheels, and a UV, We're fairly insane with weekly water changes here. Tanks get drained to about fish height!

Thanks again!

-Ryan

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Just remember that the amount of filtration has nothing to do with things like nitrates and DOCs. Unless you have fancy resins that will absorb nitrates or tons of plants (which you won't, because Uaru will eat them), the only way to remove nitrates and DOCs from the water are with water changes.

In addition to that, water changes reduce things like bacterial loads that may build up in your tank. So water changes are the most important part of raising most SA cichlids, IMO. They evolved in very clean water and that's the first step in keeping them healthy in an aquarium.

Words

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
The Greens
Love me some Uaru. While they arent necessarily new and different, I definitely feel like they're under-appreciated. The Uaru being sold on Aquabid right now are a very nice quality. Would certainly buy with confidence.

Ryan_R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
Athens, OH USA
Thanks guys! I'm a water change believer.

Good to hear about the Aquabid Uaru!

Made the mistake of showing wife the Rio Inirida sevs..... we're gonna waffle for a bit I'm sure. Sigh.... ;)

Upon hearing that the Gymnos are a no go with the others, my wife said, "no worries, we'll set up another tank for them". :)

Soooo.... if we tried four sevs, think that would get us at least one pair?

-Ryan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store