i got 2 sabertooths from miles :drool:
:headbang2
still small though

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Those are some pampered H. Scomberoides, too.. I was feeding them Neon Tetras because I was too lazy to Quarantine feeder guppies!

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
Miles said:
Those are some pampered H. Scomberoides, too.. I was feeding them Neon Tetras because I was too lazy to Quarantine feeder guppies!
yeah their pretty cool!
they ate some of the tetras that Miles sent me
their active at night! i have some lunar lights on them, as soon as the main lights
went out they started swimming everywhere! :headbang2

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
today i saw one eat a bleeding heart tetra!
quick lil f***ers! :eek:

mikehawk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
FL
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because big al's has some "sabertooth barracudas" for sale. They're about 3" long and selling for $16 each. The guy was telling me they get about a foot long, and they'll be fine a 55g. But, looking at those sport fishing pics, they look like they get huge. Is there some kind of dwarf sabertooth barracuda species for the home aquarium or something?

BTW, I was thinking of putting one in my 125g as soon as I take care of a little algea problem. It has 3 e400's for filtration and current, and the only fish left in there is a catfish, a pleco, a chinese algea eater, and some guppies. Would it be fine on it's own, or do they do better in groups like the other freshwater barracudas?

FishCI2azy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Columbus, GA/Greenville, SC
PhullTank57;84036; said:
I have kept "sabre tooth barracudas" H. scrombroides (aka: 'payara') as well as Rhapioiodon vulpinnus before in the past. They are extremely delicate sensative fish. Be sure your water conditions is in tip top shape at all times, high oxygen/aeration in your tank, and a strong fast current flow (using powerheads)... THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST!! :grinyes:
You say the parameters are a must, but what are they??:confused:

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are 4 species available that fall into the catagory of Vampire Tetras/payara/sabre tooth/sabre tusk baracudas/Tiger characin

Rhaphiodon Vulpinus, hydrolycus scomberoides, hydrolycus tatauia, and hydrolycus armatus. Vulpins are easy to tell from the others cause of the dorsal fin, it's set back (towards the tail). They're bright silver. Sopposed to get 2 feet. Almost seems like the easiest way to tell apart the hydros is price. Armatus being really expensive, then tats then scoms. Armatus get huge. Tats about 18-22 and scoms being the ones with the rep of being difficult to keep and seldomly seen over 12 inches. Scoms and vulps are very skittish. Tats and Armatus are supposed to be pretty tough and less skittish. I know there's some pics of a 24" plus Armatus floating around.

I had one I believed to be a tat. Had it for probobly half a year but was killed by an eel. I have a pair of vulps in a 125. Had 3 one was killed. I haven't really had too much trouble with raising them over the last year. Aquired them at 3 inches they are about 8 now. Waterchanges every week and AQ hob filters. Not really difficult to keep I don't think. Our tap water is pretty hard here and it's not altered before it goes into the tank. Not really that picky of eaters. Mine like freeze dried krill, market shrimp, nightcrawlers and of course feeders. Personally with all the fish that I have these are probobly my favorite. They do a strange back flip kinda thing when they eat, regardless of what they are eating. So I guess in my experience they aren't really that hard to keep and definetly entertaining.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
DB junkie;671852; said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are 4 species available that fall into the catagory of Vampire Tetras/payara/sabre tooth/sabre tusk baracudas/Tiger characin

Rhaphiodon Vulpinus, hydrolycus scomberoides, hydrolycus tatauia, and hydrolycus armatus. Vulpins are easy to tell from the others cause of the dorsal fin, it's set back (towards the tail). They're bright silver. Sopposed to get 2 feet. Almost seems like the easiest way to tell apart the hydros is price. Armatus being really expensive, then tats then scoms. Armatus get huge. Tats about 18-22 and scoms being the ones with the rep of being difficult to keep and seldomly seen over 12 inches. Scoms and vulps are very skittish. Tats and Armatus are supposed to be pretty tough and less skittish. I know there's some pics of a 24" plus Armatus floating around.

I had one I believed to be a tat. Had it for probobly half a year but was killed by an eel. I have a pair of vulps in a 125. Had 3 one was killed. I haven't really had too much trouble with raising them over the last year. Aquired them at 3 inches they are about 8 now. Waterchanges every week and AQ hob filters. Not really difficult to keep I don't think. Our tap water is pretty hard here and it's not altered before it goes into the tank. Not really that picky of eaters. Mine like freeze dried krill, market shrimp, nightcrawlers and of course feeders. Personally with all the fish that I have these are probobly my favorite. They do a strange back flip kinda thing when they eat, regardless of what they are eating. So I guess in my experience they aren't really that hard to keep and definetly entertaining.
That's basically what I have found. I'm starting to wonder if I have too much current in my tank. I might switch to a HOB

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store