Schooling species suggestions?

Jake_Df

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2011
Austin, TX
I am planning on a setup with only 1 or 2 predatory fish (maybe a JD or a Jaguar cichlid, not sure yet) and I also want to have a school of a different species (10-15). Im looking for something not too aggressive and not too small to be eaten by predators. Also something that will not grow too massive. Any suggestions?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
For solo display then go with Jaguar cause its look better than JD but most of the time you can't have tank mates with a male Jag, if your tank big enough then Chalceus macrolepidotus is an option for schooling fish to go with a Jag.

Jake_Df

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2011
Austin, TX
For solo display then go with Jaguar cause its look better than JD but most of the time you can't have tank mates with a male Jag, if your tank big enough then Chalceus macrolepidotus is an option for schooling fish to go with a Jag.
Thanks. Im ideally just looking for a schooling species big enough to not get eaten, and small enough to not demand too much territory.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Thanks. Im ideally just looking for a schooling species big enough to not get eaten, and small enough to not demand too much territory.
Chalceus Macrolepidotus max out around 10 inches (generally Jag max out around 14 inches in home aquarium) and extremely fast for Jag to bully them but in order to keep the aggression low between those Chalceus you will need a large group of them, I kept them before and they are became main display shooling fish after sometimes :D oh their color go very nice with Jag (solo male) too.

Jake_Df

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2011
Austin, TX
Chalceus Macrolepidotus max out around 10 inches (generally Jag max out around 14 inches in home aquarium) and extremely fast for Jag to bully them but in order to keep the aggression low between those Chalceus you will need a large group of them, I kept them before and they are became main display shooling fish after sometimes :D oh their color go very nice with Jag (solo male) too.
yeah I just did some research on them. They grow way too big. Theres no way I can do a school of 10-15 10" fish. Im rethinking the jag and considering some smaller predatory cichlid. I have a 75g bowfront so space is limited. Im thinking something like clown loach size but not bottom dwelling. Id also like suggestions on the predator. THX

Ninjabadger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Henlow, UK
In my experience 300L is too small for a Jag in terms of temperament. If you can block line of sight you might get away with it but generally they get nasty. If you get a female that lays eggs nothing is safe.

Jake_Df

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2011
Austin, TX
In my experience 300L is too small for a Jag in terms of temperament. If you can block line of sight you might get away with it but generally they get nasty. If you get a female that lays eggs nothing is safe.
In my experience it depends on the fish. Ive kept a jag and a JD in a 55 without conflict but then had an oscar and a pacu that hated eachother. Ive kept bluegill with oscars and goldfish without issue. I take it in individual cases just like dogs. I DO know that if i get a nice little school of tiger barbs and then introduce a jack dempsey theyll become lunch guaranteed. Im looking for a larger non aggressive schooling species to pair up with a smaller predatory species.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey (EBJD) is good for 75G cause they grow extremely slow (solo only cause getting a pair of cichlid = nightmare for other tank mates), EBJD not overly aggressive so you can house it with a bunch of Buenos Tetra or a group of Rainbow Fish.

Jake_Df

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2011
Austin, TX
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey (EBJD) is good for 75G cause they grow extremely slow (solo only cause getting a pair of cichlid = nightmare for other tank mates), EBJD not overly aggressive so you can house it with a bunch of Buenos Tetra or a group of Rainbow Fish.
Good call on the rainbow fish I will look into them. However EDJDs are a little out of my price range.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
In my experience, Rainbowfish don't school that well, at least not Boesmani and Turquoise rainbows. Nice looking fish though.

Denison Barbs are pretty good schoolers, good looking fish, and max out around 5-6". Very easy to care for non-aggressive aquarium fish. They're about $8/each at the pet stores near me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store