Schooling species suggestions?

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Take a look at Dawkinsia genus barbs to go with a dempsey. Hardy mid sized fish that make good dithers. As already mentioned, Jags can be very hard to keep anything with so if you want more than one fish go with the JD.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
In my experience it depends on the fish. Ive kept a jag and a JD in a 55 without conflict but then had an oscar and a pacu that hated eachother. Ive kept bluegill with oscars and goldfish without issue. I take it in individual cases just like dogs. I DO know that if i get a nice little school of tiger barbs and then introduce a jack dempsey theyll become lunch guaranteed. Im looking for a larger non aggressive schooling species to pair up with a smaller predatory species.
maybe spanner t barbs...but in reality you aren't gonna find anything that has a decent chance in a 75 with a jag(unless it is a big (or armored) catfish) ...anything that's small enough to shoal is gonna be toast.....in my opinion (and most peoples reality )...a jag is a solo act in a 75 (maybe a big con male might work, if introduced early)....the one viable exception would be an armored cat

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here's how JDs live in nature, the usual schooling fish they share habitat with, are live bearers such as Gambusia, swordtails, and mollies. click on pic to run

another video I took in Cenote Jardin de Eden
as far as managuense go, a 75gal tank is just too small for anything but 1 jag, and that would only work temporarily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store