Setting up a Moray Eel tank, have some questions

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Sorry I just saw you are in London, Ontario and not London,England...
I imagine it would not be easy for you to get the M helena..

But, perhaps you could get hold of a green moray (G. funebris). They are a bit smaller than tesselata and you could keep a single one in your tank

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I'll look into helena, but I had the same thought as you about availability on this side of the pond. I thought funebris got bigger then tesselata, I must hve been wrong on that? I was of the impression is that the funebris is the biggest moray available to the hobbyist, thick as can be, so not sure if it will work long term for me unless I upgrade. It does have that nice green I was thinking of though!

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Can anyone confirm? Hard to get a straight answer online, but I still get the feeling funebris is bigger.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Greens get huge. I'd think quite a bit bigger then Tessies. I've personally seen one that looked like it could take down a bowling ball or a small child no problem. Scary sight to see that much girth to one. It looked too big for my 750. It looked too big to move without putting under.

It was at the Chattanooga TN aquarium. I bet I stared at that thing for 5 minutes completely speechless once I realized it wasn't a column in the aquarium, it was an eel that appeared capable of fitting a human head in its jaws.....

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
How about a jeweled moray, zebra, or snowflake? They don't get real big, and would be comfortable in a tank of your size. Do you plan on any other tank mates?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
No tank mates at all, just a single leviathan or a group of 3 smaller. Would drop the money on a dragon if i could afford it. Unfortunately this project, which I have been dreaming of for years, and which I was so close I could taste it, has to be put on hold. My female leo is pregnant, so gotta focus my efforts there, so resealing their tank has been pushed back till after she gives birth, etc. It sucks, but for the greater good.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store