Shark info need

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting,Matt does that place still exist?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Sure does. It's in Sarasota, FL. I have a few friends there and have been there a few times. Mote is working on a rather large expansion right now. It's one of the oldest marine life lab/aquariums in the US. Most people know it as one of the first shark research facilities. It was founded by Dr. Eugenie Clark (the "Shark Lady") in the mid 50's.

http://mote.org/

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice,thanks for the info.

mattyice572

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2015
New Jersey
If your looking for a shark you can keep in your home that resembles a real shark, take a look into smooth hound sharks aka dog fish. These sharks, as any shark, needs to be fed heavily and i would reccomend at least a 300 gal tank for an adult. They dont reach a very large size opposed to othe sharks out there, most likely reaching 2-3 feet in captivity. They are not aggresive but will eat small fish if housed together but should be fine housing with bull head sharks or cat shatks or sting rays. Be sure to offer any of these animals a varied diet. Your body cant get all its nutrition from one food source, same with any animal. Feed these animals chopped fish, squid, clams, mussels, shrimp, some will even dine on crabs or urchins if given the oppritunity.

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
Only sharks I would suggest in home captivity is a bamboo or if large a spiny dog fish, maybe a Atlantic sharp nose but tht would be pushing it., you could also keep chained dogfish they only grow 2 feet long, I honestly think if everyone owned a decent size saltwater tank we would all have a chained dog fish lol, only prob is they are hard to find cause they swim in the depths of the ocean at hundreds of feet and of caught they are expensive could cost as much as buying a black tip

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
Only sharks I would suggest in home captivity is a bamboo or if large a spiny dog fish, maybe a Atlantic sharp nose but tht would be pushing it., you could also keep chained dogfish they only grow 2 feet long, I honestly think if everyone owned a decent size saltwater tank we would all have a chained dog fish lol, only prob is they are hard to find cause they swim in the depths of the ocean at hundreds of feet and of caught they are expensive could cost as much as buying a black tip

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Just to clarify- Atlantic sharpnose Rhizoprionodon terraenovae need more room than a BTR. The 18-22" juvie that I had cared for for a year in a 20'x4' circular needed a bigger home because of substantial rubbing of the snout. I would recommend something in the 45' range. Chained dogfish Scyliorhinus retifer are a cool water species of shark as well.

Noob2sharks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2014
Pussy Creek, Ohio
Eldery thread lol. After doing some delving about elasmobranchs and consulting with a shark connoisseur on alternate fourm I aquired a pair of dink Triaenodon obesus. They are doing fabulous.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store