Shark Tank Build - 280 Gallons

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
Hello everyone!

I originally started a build thread on reef central but I was recommended by zoo diver to look here. I'm having a hard time finding the information I need so I'm hoping all the shark experts here can help!

First a little about me. I live in New Jersey. This is my first salt water tank build. My plan has always been to base the tank around coral cat sharks, or another variety if it stays small. I'm an avid shark scuba diver. Ive traveled the world trying to swim next to one of the most amazing creatures on earth. Ive been diving with everything from whale sharks, to great white sharks, tiger sharks, white tips, most anything you can think of. I've never seen a hammerhead, so thats on my list still. I've been on dives in the Caribbean, Australia, South Africa, Red Sea and others. I want this tank to be a small representation of my favorite hobby.

In addition to shark diving, I'm very into making beer. Ive named my 'brewery' shark tank brewing. My goal is to have 9-12 beer taps under my shark tank.

I have a room behind my fish tank dedicated to the equipment. Ill post information about that next with pictures.

Thanks for having me on the forum!

JJ

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Sounds cool and welcome. I think you should be building a 1000 gallon tank. Do you have a budget?

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

NovaSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
Panama city Florida
welcome to the site lots of great info and great people. If you want to dive with hammerheads come down to florida panhandle during the summer lots of big hammers

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Glad you stopped by! You'll find of lot of shark people on here that should be able to offer a lot of options and insight a little more than the guys on RC. In fact, the best shark guys on RC are on here as well. :)

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
+1 on hammerheads in FL. They're pretty common and you can get cheap, direct flights here through JetBlue!

9-12 beer taps? I'm impressed! That's one tank I want to see in person :p

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
We have them in South FL as well.
Side note, Scalloped Hammers are finally protected now. We might start to see a population come back....I hope.

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Any details on the size of the tank and why 280 gallons? Limited by dimensions? Sounds awesome but we all wanna know the footprint and shape of the tank. Good luck and welcome!

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
Any details on the size of the tank and why 280 gallons? Limited by dimensions? Sounds awesome but we all wanna know the footprint and shape of the tank. Good luck and welcome!
First, is this site on tapatalk or have an iPhone app? I did more work this weekend and wanted to post here but I couldn't find a simple way to do it. Its annoying to have to email all the pics to myself to do it on a computer lol. Ill do it but ill just end up updating less.

The tank is 6 feet by 3 feet and 25.5 high. That was the biggest I could fit, to make the best situation for coral cat sharks. I can technically go higher but this was the biggest size I could get to stay in 1/2 inch sides and 3/4 bottom. I didn't want to spend the extra money for all 3/4 sides.

I can't go wider because of a support beam.

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
+1 on hammerheads in FL. They're pretty common and you can get cheap, direct flights here through JetBlue!

9-12 beer taps? I'm impressed! That's one tank I want to see in person :p

Ill let you know when its ready. I brewed 4 beers on Sunday :) Trying to get as many kegs filled as possible for when the bars ready! I have the cabinets in the garage and floors in the garage. Tanks coming saturday! Its coming along!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store