Shark Tank Build - 280 Gallons

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
Thanks for the recommendation on this site! I was reading your build and immediately recognized the tank from tv. Nice work! Once someone tells me how to post to this forum in an easier manner ill get things transferred from reef central.

In the meantime, heres a link to my thread on that site for anyone that wants to see some pics I put up there already.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2406786

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
welcome to the site lots of great info and great people. If you want to dive with hammerheads come down to florida panhandle during the summer lots of big hammers
I went to the University of Miami so I've done some diving in Florida back in the day. I never heard anyone say there was hammers though. I never made it up to the panhandle to dive. Ill definitely have to get down there!

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
Everyone has a budget, the question is how big? I have $30k budgeted for my 750, just need to find a new house first.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
definitely not 30k! My budget is largely based on not looking at receipts and brining up purchases with the fiancee lol

oh and i see in your signature theres a monster app! time to search that!

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
Sorry for all the replies in a row. I like to respond to everyone that took the time to write on the thread.

ok I found the app, its downloading now on my phone!

My equipment:

72Lx36Wx24H tank from glass gages. Starfire front and side since its built into the wall. Also since its built in I had to have them make the eurobracing be 4 inches since it has a 2x4 wall above the tank. (built today)

Lifereef wet dry filter (I have this already)

Lifereef 36 incn skimmer (ordered)

I went with two life reef pre filters instead of overflows. I wasn't sure yet where I wanted to run my plumbing and Ive read good things about his overflows. I wanted to keep the most room in the tank for the sharks too.

I have 3 Kessil A360s

3 Vortec MP40s

Im planning on getting an apex controller.

Spectrapure 90 gpd wet dry filter

I still need some misc plumbing parts, another pump, heaters.

I ordered 150 pounds of reef rock that ill turn into live rock.

I got 280 pounds of fine sand to make a approximate 2 inch bottom.

I ordered 200 pounds of salt to have 100 to setup the tank and to have another 100 to water changes.

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
6x3 is a decent setup....better than most who keep those sharks! All I could see from the other thread was the filter room area which looks impressive. Keep us updated :cheers:

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
6x3 is a decent setup....better than most who keep those sharks! All I could see from the other thread was the filter room area which looks impressive. Keep us updated :cheers:
That other room got small real fast. My original plan was to have a second sump where I just had a ton of live rock in it for added filtration. Once I started drawing on the floor my wet dry filter and sink and skimmer...well the space was basically gone. I have room to put two 20 gallon vertical containers to store RO water. I had hoped ot get bigger ones than that but I cant fit it. Ill be doing more frequent small water changes I guess.

Its more live rock, or less beer haha. But that fridge is already in there and isnt coming out. Id have to take the sink im putting in out to try and remove the fridge. More importantly that fridge is paid for already.

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
Now unfortunately, I don't have after pictures of the tank. They didn't build it right so I had to send it back. Two issues, first I specified that the euro bracing must be over four inches on the two sides that have the built in wall over it. Since they didn't, I wouldn't have been able to open the first lid.

I ended up deciding I'd just take the tank with a discount and figure out how to make a lid. However, after getting it in the truck we saw that they put the star fire on the wrong side... So we had to then put it back in the truck. At least we figured it out before we got home.

Now I have to wait until August 2nd, get a buddy with a truck and lifters again...

Though the only good thing is now ill definitely make sure I have auction cups!! I can't imagine how we would have moved it without them
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1405344979.038802.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1405344971.901595.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store