Shark Tank Build - 280 Gallons

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
Here's a pic of a sample reef rock. Can anyone identify region or comment on it? It seems pretty porous. I was hoping for some pieces w swim through or caves. These more like giant pieces of coral. I might buy a few choice pieces as a base.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1405350119.448628.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1405350127.213941.jpg

Here's a pic of some sand. It's a fine crushed coral. Hopefully fine enough for sharks and rays.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1405350138.404188.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Your sand looks good with exception to those larger pieces in it. Anything to look out for size comparison (coin/pen etc). The rock does look like bleached coral like you suspect but I am no expert on that. Thanks for the update and it looks like it will be a killer tank with those two sides viewable. Are you going to paint the back of the tank blue/black to prevent seeing into the filter room?

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
Ever get the tank back?

Well, ironically enough I got the tank today. I sent glass cages a full blue print, 3d models, lengthy phone call, etc and they still messed it up. Its such a burden for me to go meet them to get the tank that I just took it and Ill deal with them later. But I'm happy to say it installed and in place! I have three very very very unhappy neighbors that regretted helping me.

The tank itself has its flaws, edges look like the sharks already bit the glass. And since they failed to make my bracing correctly I can't use the lids, or be able to open them.

Ill explain more and post pics later. I'm a nice balance between excited and angry that people can't just do their job...

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
Hey guys, haven't been on in forever so I owe lots of updates. More importantly I found a Australian marbled cat shark pup finally that I'm going to pickup on Friday.

ive had my tank running for a few months now. There's a snow flake eel in it. I was picking up some tangs on Friday too. Originally the plan was only for the tangs but it just so happens I finally found the shark I wanted, and as a little guy (7 inches)

for now, I have a 50 gallon container (I believe it around 42x24x13ish, rounded corners) that's plumbed into my system. It's there because it allows me to do instant wanted changes. I can close a valve to it. Open one to drain, and hit a switch to refill. Longer term I might add more rock or algae in there for added filtration but I think I'm going to start the shark in there. My thought is I'll be able to see it, feed it, make sure it's eating, Etc in a place I can reach.

What at do I need to get and have handy for the shark? Long story short, I had a tang that got sick before and I didn't know what to do. So now I have kick ich, rally, and the other dip from that company in gallon containers on hand just in case.

Whats a Good food to start the shark on? And a vitamin to add to the food? Oh, and I bought a bag of frozen shrimp for the eel. I thought it was raw but apparently it was cooked. Is that ok? Worst case I'll be making me some sweet and sour shrimp! Lol

lll post pics and do general updates later. Getting another tank after and setting it up took longer than I thought. But I'm happy now with my roughly 300 gallon. Life reef wet dry. 36 inch life reef skimmer. Three vortech mp40s and three kessil lights. I finally last week got the ecolink and spectral controller for the lights. So the pumps and lights are on a schedule. It was annoying doing it all manually daily but the eel didn't seem to care lol.

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Looks awesome! Very nice bar setup!!!!

Don't plan on using any ick medication in the tank! Add a UV sterilizer if that is a tank concern. Do you have anything in the tank cycling it? (just read you have an eel?) The key to not getting ick in the tank is proper water quality/filtration and if possible when adding new fish quarantine tanks. I have found my sharks love SQUID. I will mix it up with other foods like fish, scallops or shrimp. Mazuri makes vitamins which you can add to their diet. Pot some videos up once you add the shark.

skinsncanes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2014
New Jersey
Looks awesome! Very nice bar setup!!!!

Don't plan on using any ick medication in the tank! Add a UV sterilizer if that is a tank concern. Do you have anything in the tank cycling it? (just read you have an eel?) The key to not getting ick in the tank is proper water quality/filtration and if possible when adding new fish quarantine tanks. I have found my sharks love SQUID. I will mix it up with other foods like fish, scallops or shrimp. Mazuri makes vitamins which you can add to their diet. Pot some videos up once you add the shark.
Thanks man. And I had ich, or velvet or something. I basically broad spectrum treated the tank on top of running it with only the eel. Just incase something was latched onto the eel or hiding dormant in a rock. I never used copper knowing that I would have a shark. I really like tangs and will have a big group of them. I get the concerns over using any medicine but I feel better having it on hand. Tangs seem to be little *****es and as much as we prepare, seems like life always happens and they get sick so easy. I was originally going to do just the shark. But having seen most lie around, I wanted some more life in the tank.

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
If ur going for 280 gallons go with a brow banded bamboo or a marble car shark they could be in a 280 for a decent amount of time but these are the smallest of sharks to keep and they grow to 4' u could keep one for a good amount of time though, another I would recommend is a chained dogfish, they are deep water sharks and grow to only 24" but they are very expensive and hard to find but hey ur a scuba diver go dive 150-250 ft deep and try and catch one, also have u ever been scuba diving at the U-869 wreck off the cost of point pleasant ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store