Sharks in Captivity?

laurieisen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2010
canada
I have really been getting into keeping Saltwater Fish the last few years. Just so much variety and I have really become interested in it and looking to try something new. I have a question. Is it possible to keep any kinds of Shark in captivity in the home tank at all? Not some of the types of freshwater tank fish called shark I mean actual Saltwater Sharks? I have read online that some kinds are kept Hornsharks, Leopard Sharks, Catsharks ect. I was wondering what others experiences have been or what other types can be kept? Is it possible to keep Soupfin Sharks (Galeorhinus galeus), Angel Sharks or Swell Sharks or do they grow too big and can only be kept in large public aquaria?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There are quite a few members here who keep real Sharks such as the species that you have listed.I've kept bamboos and PJ's in the past.Check out some of the threads in the saltwater section.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have not nor do I recall hearing of anyone keeping a soupfin.I wanted a swellshsark back in the day when I was into saltwater but was never able to find one.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
IME with bamboo sharks, marbled cat sharks, and a glutinous leopard shark, lol out of the three the marbled cat shark's were the easiest to raise:).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've had the most success with bamboo sharks.I've raised quite a few of them from hatchlings to over two feet in length.They are the perfect beginner shark.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've had the most success with bamboo sharks.I've raised quite a few of them from hatchlings to over two feet in length.They are the perfect beginner shark.
It was an awesome experience having a hatchling shark:). Told another member who is a good friend of mine that I may one day do salt again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store