Show Your Natives/Native Tanks

rob0521

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
south florida
ewurm;900819; said:
I want to see a Florida "native" tank. Plecos, pbass, cichlids...etc. Wait, I'll just go to the Photo Lounge!:ROFL:
im setting one up like that hopefully this summer, all caught in my backyard:)

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
These are the newest pics I have (click for bigger).

Longear sunfish

Checkered madtom

I can't ever get a good pic of the madtom. He sits in his little pot waiting for us to feed him and rarely comes out.

darthodo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Georgia
After doing somelooking, and because of some good connections, I think I can get hooked up (literally) with some nice, and somewhat uncommon, native fish. I do have some concerns about two species that I can get fairly easily though.

The redfin pike is everywhere down here in south GA and are good-looking stock. My question is, is it near impossible to get them to take prepared food? I assume if you trap some real small ones it is easier to get them on prepared food than larger ones you catch on hook and line. Will redfin pike take mealworms, crickets, or earthworms?

My next question concerns the ever present yellow perch. Will these fish do well in a small group and do wild-caught fish take to prepared foods easily?

tknjk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Texas
Derpeder;903735; said:
Here is a cool pic of my LMB. Quality is not the best but its cool! :headbang2

Brings new meaning to the phrase "I'v got a frog in my throat."

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
This is my longear when I first got him. I'm trying to fatten him up but I think he's really pretty (In a strait type of way). Also a shiner that I caught, didn't keep him but I should have. I just let the catfish go into my pond yesterday and replaced him with a yellow cat. I got him at 3 inches and I said once he hit 7 I would let him go. Gave you a little before and after too, sorry ther're not at the same angle The yellow cat looks awsome and is about 3 inches, same deal, Ill try and put up some pictures of her to.

fish.jpg

fish2.jpg

HPIM1708.jpg

HPIM1625.jpg

Nightwing

Feeder Fish
May 17, 2007
michigan
About a quarter of my tank:

one of 4 just brilliant colored male Rainbow darters(hangin' with one of his girlfriends):

another view:

and..another:

Rick Blaine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2006
Casablanca
Nightwing;1176292; said:
About a quarter of my tank:

one of 4 just brilliant colored male Rainbow darters(hangin' with one of his girlfriends):

another view:

and..another:

Those are beautiful darters! I have a couple that I found at a LFS in the feeder tank (they let me have them for free, when I pointed out that they were natives, and I didn't object). They are some of the most interesting natives to observe.

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
Let's see some natives! Here are some of mine:

PICT0933.JPG

PICT0957.JPG

PICT0952.JPG

PICT0954.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com