Show Your Natives/Native Tanks

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
88GT;1268935; said:
Heres mine. think Im over populated? LOL
they are still young....7" or so. 3 bass and a green sunfish. (3 cats are hiding)
Your "green sunfish" is a bluegill, if it is the fish in the last pic with the bass.

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
Me_We I'm in AustinFishlvr Yeah I think I will stick it in a freind of mines pond but I don't think it would be a problem if I put it into the wild. It came from the wild and was only kept with other natives, also I feed it only live native food like shiners and worms.

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
Here are some more of my pics. The longear usually has more red, but he just got moved to a new tank, so he's kinda flushed out. And yes, I know the Asian clam is not native. I just like the pic.:)

DSCF2380.JPG

DSCF2385.JPG

DSCF2386.JPG

DSCF2393.JPG

DSCF2394.JPG

DSCF2400.JPG

DSCF2404.JPG

DSCF2405.JPG

DSCF2413.JPG

DSCF2419.JPG

teleost

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2005
where I lay my hat
Does your state allow you to actually take mussels from the wild????

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
Yes if they aren't protected.

Roberto C. Wells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Paris, AR
Some darters i collected the other day.

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
I like the bandeds and rainbows. What's the temp? I noticed your female cherry barb, and I know those need higher temps, like 75-78F. Darters need temps below 72F for their longterm health and survival.

BTW, nice pics!

Roberto C. Wells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Paris, AR
The temp is at 75. I have collected darters from the same stream during the summer while the water was in the 80's so i think 75 should be fine, don't you?

The rainbow is a orangethroat Etheostoma spectabile it is are hard to tell Them apart If there is red in the anal fin then they are rainbows, if the anal fin is solid blue then they are orange throats. That is about the only way to tell the difference and neither picture shows the whole anal fin.

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
Roberto C. Wells;1354456; said:
The temp is at 75. I have collected darters from the same stream during the summer while the water was in the 80's so i think 75 should be fine, don't you?

The rainbow is a orangethroat Etheostoma spectabile it is are hard to tell Them apart If there is red in the anal fin then they are rainbows, if the anal fin is solid blue then they are orange throats. That is about the only way to tell the difference and neither picture shows the whole anal fin.
Rainbow is my default if the anal fin isn't visible. :D I'm getting some rainbows soon.

Lower temps are better for their longterm health. I didn't say they couldn't tolerate higher temps. High temps are not good for them, and will make them sick if they're kept that way too long. Besides, they're much more colorful in colder water.

Roberto C. Wells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Paris, AR
Thanks for the info and good luck with the Rainbows.
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store