Small sleeper sharks?

Blue Crab of PAIN!!!!

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2009
Buffalo NY
Its been ages since I last came here asking stupid questions about species that I'll never be able to keep and wasting everyone's time, so here goes!

I've recently become aware of a cute "little" critter called a Portuguese Dogfish, which [in my opinion] looks like a miniature Greenland shark or pacific sleeper. I'm sure everyone would love to have a greenland shark in their aquarium, but since they seem to do extremely poorly in captivity [in addition to being gigantic] I'm not betting that anyone here has any good news about keeping those.

This then begs the question though, have *any* deepwater sharks been successfully kept in captivity? I bring up the Portuguese Dogfish in particular because of its wide range and among all of the "small" sleeper sharks, this seems to be just about the only one that is encountered with any degree of regularity. On the other hand, it is apparently the deepest living shark [according to Wiki anyway]. I also really like how it looks.

There are a few species that seem to inhabit shallower water, but those generally seem to be "very rare" or "are only known from a few specimens". The Velvet dogfish is one of the only other "small" ones that I've even been able to find a good picture of.

Cheers!
-BCoP

Blue Crab of PAIN!!!!

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2009
Buffalo NY
I should have added some pics of the critters I'm talking about:

Portuguese Dogfish:
Portuguese_shark.jpg
Centroscymnus_coelolepis.JPG

Velvet Dogfish:
Zameus_squamulosus.jpg

Little Sleeper Shark
Somniosus_rostratus_adult_JGF.jpg

This little guy is in the same genus as the titans of this family, i.e. greenlands, pacific and southern sleepers.

Portuguese_shark.jpg

Centroscymnus_coelolepis.JPG

Zameus_squamulosus.jpg

Somniosus_rostratus_adult_JGF.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store