Snakehead Fishing in New Jersey

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I guess those 24 smakeheads that were caught in 2 days of fishing have little effect on the other species in that body of water in New Jersey. I guess they are feeding on NLS pellets and jumbo carnivore stix. LOL!

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I guess those 24 smakeheads that were caught in 2 days of fishing have little effect on the other species in that body of water in New Jersey. I guess they are feeding on NLS pellets and jumbo carnivore stix. LOL!
They more than likely move into an area that has less native fish like bass ect as they are formidable competition.

wantokeeptrout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ontario
i doubt it, asian carp can thrive further north, where 7-9 of 10 fish caught are silver and bighead carp. plus these things get 40 to 100 pounds. please do us a favor and make sure that barrier keeps them out of the great lakes, god knows what will happen once they get in

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
i doubt it, asian carp can thrive further north, where 7-9 of 10 fish caught are silver and bighead carp. plus these things get 40 to 100 pounds. please do us a favor and make sure that barrier keeps them out of the great lakes, god knows what will happen once they get in
Northern snakeheads can tolerate those areas. You are missing the point though. When the carp spawn, you don't think that snakeheads (and other fish) take out fingerlings? I would bet my house they do, but just not faster than they are producing.

flemming

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2008
netherlands
I Believe that you guys are blessed with an awesome sportfish.
Argus is able to grow to 40inches and Marulius to 32inches.
Sounds like nice sized sportfish to catch on lures.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Neither carp or snakehead are going to destroy amn ecosystem in an area as big as the United States! Maybe on islands this is possible, but definately not in the US.
By the way, here in Europe North American crayfish were wiping out the native crayfish population since 1980 or so, but there is still no ban to keep them, just a ban ( with huge fines) on letting them free. And there are special breeding farms for native crayfish(Astacus astacus) that offer them for stocking ponds,rivers and lakes. And guess what? The population is increasing slightly again ;)
So basically my message is: The american authorities are making too much of a drama about the whole snakehead thing. Snakeheads won't destroy any ecosystem apart from some real vulnerable ones.

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store