Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Sneak Peek ~ New 250 gallon (festae pen)

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by JK47, Mar 11, 2012.

1. JK47

JK47 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
      Staff Member

I cannot say why but in my head I imagine my festae pair living near a rocky waterfall so that is how I plan to design the new tank. I am going to do a new overhaul/build thread for the 3 tanks I am building or rebuilding in the setup/filtration forum but thought I would give my friends here a sneak peek of the new festae pen before the rest of MFK ;) When I design a new tank, I always try to find an "inspirational" photo to work off/keep me on track, below is that photo.

(This pic is something I found on Google, no clue where in Peru this is or whom to give credit to)
      two_tier_waterfall_Peru.jpg

This is the new 6'x3' tank for this pair. I picked up the new background and stones last night from the owner of www.designsbynature.net and this background is not on the market yet. It's new and he let me name it the "Tumbes" after this pairs collection locale. I will be customizing the return plumbing so I can push massive amounts of air down over the background (on a switch so I can control when I want it on/off) down a split off of the return to simulate what it would look like under that waterfall for them.

DSC_0051.JPG
      DSC_0050.JPG

The pair as of this morning is below just for fun. Their colors are amazing right now with the fry free swimming. I cannot wait to see them in their new pen with a swarm of fry growing out! This pair is going to be living in style for life!

DSC_0014.JPG
      DSC_0023.JPG
      DSC_0047.JPG
      DSC_0046.JPG
      DSC_0044.JPG
      DSC_0036.JPG
      DSC_0027.JPG
      DSC_0039.JPG
      DSC_0026.JPG

I'll post a link to the new build thread for my tanks in my signature once it get around to loading all the pics.

2. fishman09

fishman09 MFK Members

cant wait to see this set up. your tanks are gorgeous and im sure this one will not dissapoint:) those are some lucky festae

3. ceeej31

ceeej31 MFK Members

i work at my lfs
      Very cool, I'm looking forward to this one man

4. JK47

JK47 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
      Staff Member

Thanks Forest!!! While I am giving away sneak peeks, lets just say the wolf pen will be getting an overhaul as well ;) Keep an eye on the setup/filtration section for the detailed thread. I should have it up pretty soon...

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

What's shakin Colin?!? I haven't talked you in a long time. I hope things are good with you bro.

5. AcsFoolMike

AcsFoolMike MFK Members

Beautiful tank and pair Justin. Can't wait to follow the progress of this one.

6. HULON

HULON MFK Members

paint contracter
      Very Nice Justin!!!!!Whats the pump ??? Flow rating type head ..Pressure rated???

7. rrcoolj

rrcoolj MFK Members

Anybody else gitty with excitement? :)

8. jweav

jweav MFK Members

WOW!That tank is going to be awesome.They may not know it but I would say your Festae have just won the lottery:headbang2

9. JK47

JK47 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
      Staff Member

Thanks Peter! I'll post a link to the build thread in here as well as my sig. Stay tuned! :D

Thanks Hugh! This is the current plan for the filtration. The sump has room for the female in the middle chamber if she ever gets beat up on by the male and I need to move her quickly. The pump is a Dolphin that I need to look up the specs for, if I remember correctly it's rated at 2,200 GHP (I need to redo the plumbing, this is as I bought it). The bar on the bottom/side will be the overflow to the drip system exiting to the garden in the new house.

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

Your not the only one Reggie!!! I'm giddy like a school girl to get to build a new tank [squeels] :ROFL:

Thanks J! Too funny. I hit the lotto with this pair so I am obligated to build them a show tank right? ;)

10. peathenster

peathenster MFK Members

This is exciting! Keep the updates coming :)